Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String fell off!! >

String fell off!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String fell off!!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default String fell off!!

I was drawing my bow yesterday and as I was letting it down, the string just fell off. Didnt break, just came off the cams.

I am kinda scared to shoot the thing lol.........what could have happened?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String fell off!!

Strings don't just fall off.Something had to have happened?Has the bow ever been dry-fired?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM

You were likely torquing it bigtime. I have seen this in youth or folks with a draw wt that is a bit too much.
One other possibility is that you had something in the cam, stick, grass, etc...

Letting a bow down is usually not anything like firing it. The more twisting or holding it away from you the more likely this can happen. I would also venture to assume that you have the bow turned down to the low end of the draw wt. or below what it is made for. This causes slack when starting forward in the buss cable and/or string and could also be a cause of this. It is not a good idea to have a bow at too low poundage.

Did you get it back on?..... If so, it should be OK, just be sure all the slack is out that you can get out. I realize you have draw wt issues.
Also be sure not to torque the bow when letting it up. Torqueing is result of gripping too hard with your bowhand.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The draw weight is at 46, the lowest it will go is 40 so I dont think that is the problem.

The bow has never been dry fired, so that cant be it.

The poundage is fine for me, I can pull it back no prob.

Only thing I can think of is since I wasnt using a release to draw, just my hand, I could have possibly twisted the string or something I dunno. I seen my friend draw it back and he kinda twisted it and the string looked weird...so thats the only logical explanation I can think of.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Something's wrong for sure, without seeing it, it's hard to say. Almost sounds like something stopped a cam from turning. If you have a bow shop you trust, I'd take it there. If I could inspect it, I could tell you but without personally inspecting it, it's just a guess.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You twisted the string or torqued the bowas you let it down. This is pretty common in young and beginning archers with low poundage bows. My daughter did it seaveral times with her micro midas when she was first learning how to shoot.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think thr twisting is what did it. I do not have an archery shop around sadly...the closest one is about 45 min.

The only one that is close strictly only works on Matthewswhich I think is stupid but oh well.

Do you think its safe to shoot?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check for limbtwist and or cam lean, strings and cables do not just fall off....
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that they dont just fall off.

Thats why I am asking here lol I aint no bow know-it-all....Im just wondering if its safe to shoot.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Until you get that thing looked at, I would definately not shoot it. That strings goes flying off at the wrong time, you could be in trouble, not worth the risk bud.

Shane

Quick Reply: String fell off!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.