Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new bow??

Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default new bow??

so i've been thinking i need a new bow. to see as my shoulder injurie is healing. i'm starting to pull more weight. seeing as the old hoyt banshee just can't cut anymore. i've been kinda wondering is i should get a new one. i'm gonna need one with a draw lenght of at least 29. i really want 30 or more, but it doesn't matter. and i would like a 30# to at least 60#. and i want it for under 400 if possible i am willing to go used so if you have any suggestioned for a great used bow for under 400 tell me. thankx.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new bow??

also i would like a split limb been hearing good stuff about em. but idk??
Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

so i've been thinking i need a new bow. to see as my shoulder injurie is healing. i'm starting to pull more weight. seeing as the old hoyt banshee just can't cut anymore. i've been kinda wondering is i should get a new one. i'm gonna need one with a draw lenght of at least 29. i really want 30 or more, but it doesn't matter. and i would like a 30# to at least 60#. and i want it for under 400 if possible i am willing to go used so if you have any suggestioned for a great used bow for under 400 tell me. thankx.
How tall are you??? They don't make anything in a 30-60# model, most of them come 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, Martins do come in 15# variations, 45-60 and 55-70, but there aren't any that I know of that are 30-60#.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Split limb/solid limb doesn't matter.

DRAW LENGTH MATTERS. You can't just WANT a 30" draw length bow. You have to buy whatever fits you. For all we know a 26" draw could be what you need. You have to go to a knowledgeable pro-shop and let them fit you properly. Shoot some bows in stock, see what weight you can actually handle, bows typically only have a 10-15# span, not 30#.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered my last bow before my shoulder surgery to max out at 60 pounds. Now I'm completely recovered from it and found that I like it so much I'll never go back to a heavy poundage (70-80) bow. It will do anything I'll ever need to do with it. If you could move up to a 50 pound max bow,that would easily kill a whitetail within any reasonable range. And the razorcaps are only 1 1/4 cutting diameter and come in different gr too. But I will say that a smaller 2 blade cut on contact will penetrate easier and thus deeper,but not by a lot.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

any thing as long as it will crank down to 40# so i can use it use next year after my surgery.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

any thing as long as it will crank down to 40# so i can use it use next year after my surgery.
You never did answer "How tall are you???" It'll make a difference on what DL you NEED. A 5'6" guy can't realistically expect to shoot a 32" DL and a 6'4" guy can expect to do very well shooting a 27" DL, because their bodies aren't gonna fit the bows very well. You're far ahead to shoot an appropriate DL, than totry to "cheat" yourself into a longer DL to gain speed. Remember ACCURACY kills, not speed. If an arrow flies under a deer at 400fps, it's far less lethal than an arrow that punches out the heart gonig 200fps.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

As far as split limbs go, Hoyt and PSE are good. You may not be able to find a 40# to 60# limb, but a 50# to 60# could be dropped down a little to get into the 40's if neccesary. There are alot of good deals going on right now where I keep seeing the 08 line up of bows for a fraction of what they were 6 months ago.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In order to have a miminum of 40# at lower end,you need to get a bow that maxes out at 50# just to be on the safe side. I've shot/owned a lot of different bows and can tell NO difference in performance between split limb bows and solid limb bows such as my mathews. Advertizing aside,I'm sure nobody can actually prove superiority of split limbs over solid limbs as both styles have MINOR advantages/drawbacks.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Parker and Diamond both make some good bows under$400, which are inthe50lb range. I would suggest you visit a reputable dealer in your area, and have them check for proper draw-length, and discuss your options with them.

Good luck!