Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

odd question

Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Spike

Default odd question

hi guysi have a matthews outback set at 68lbs shooting a st epic 340 arrow and 100 grain head and i cant shoot flat to 30 yards i have to use 2 pins i like only using 1 pin its what i used with my old bow. and i was shooting with a friend of mine to day he shoots a matthews legacy shooting gold tip arrows same 100 grain head and he can shoot flat to 30 yards 1 pin no problem at all and hes using a whisker biscuit and im using a trophy ridge trophy taker fall away wandering if anyone might know why he can shoot flat and i cant and what i need to do to be able to. the only other difference is hes a 27 drawlength and im a 28 his arrows are probly 2 inches shorter then mine any help would be gratly appreciated thanx
Old 10-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: odd question

His arrows are 10gpi lighter then yours . that is why his bow is flatter
Old 10-11-2008, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Marylandbowhunter

His arrows are 10gpi lighter then yours . that is why his bow is flatter
maybe 10 grains lighter, but not 10 GPI lighter.

XI32, a lot has to do with your (and his) FOC. If you have a higher FOC, your arrow will have a less flat trajectory because it is more front heavy. It may also be a tuning issue. If he is shooting a well-tuned bow and yours needs some work, a difference like this could happen easily, even with the differences in draw length.

Another reason could be vane choices. If you shoot a four inch vane with a strong helical and he shoots straight blazers or something like that, his arrow will naturally travel flatter because there is less drag down range. The more helical you have on your fletchings the better (and faster) you will stabalize your arrow, but it was also cause more drag and cause a greater change in trajectory.

Hopefully this helps some. If you want to shoot flatter, try tuning your bow as well as you are able (see sticky's at the top of this forum), use a smaller fletch that is straight fletched, and get your FOC closer to 5% than to 15%. The lower your FOC, the more balanced your arrow and the more it will naturally want to fly flat. But, it also will be harder to stabalize and tune if you start shooting fixed blade broadheads.

hope this helps
Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Spike

i have inserts in my arrows it says it on the arrow so i know my arrows weigh more i sighted it in today out to 40 yards and im shooting good groups so im gonna be happy with it thanx for the help by the way what it foc??
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Front of center.