Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does a capture rest eliminat the benefits of a high brace height? >

Does a capture rest eliminat the benefits of a high brace height?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does a capture rest eliminat the benefits of a high brace height?

Old 03-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does a capture rest eliminat the benefits of a high brace height?

I' m getting ready to deck out my new bow (which I still don' t have[:@]) and am wondering about the benfits of a higher brace height vs. a capture rest.
It is my understanding that the benfit of a higher brace height is that the arrow leaves the string quicker, thus reducing the amount of error placed on the arrow if the shooter should move his arm after the release is triggered.
If your shooting a capture rest (WB) it seems to me that the arrow would be subject to any arm movements until it clears the rest.

Would using a capture rest make an 8" brace height vs. a 7" brace height a moot point?

I currently have both of my bows set up with WB and love the arrow staying on the rest for hunting (which is all I do, no 3-d). I like being able to set the bow across my lap and still have the arrow ready for action. Although I wouldn' t mind a WB on my new bow, if it' s gonna make the 8" brace height shoot just like my 7' s, I' ll do something else. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does a capture rest eliminat the benefits of a high brace height?

I' ve asked this questions on several occasions and it seems like everyone is reluctant to say it, but yes I believe that a full capture rest effectively brings your brace height to zero. I think BH is over rated anyway because of the speed at which the string is traveling what differance could 1/2 inch really make, not much.

I went with an Arrow Trap from GKF, so its a mute point for me anyhow.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not really have an answer for your question but did want to add that it is not necessarily the amount of time but rather the amount of distance that makes brace height a " forgiveness factor" .
Old 03-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Help me with my train of thought then?

Length of power stroke/string speed = duration of string-arrow contact = forgivablility
Old 03-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, forgiveness is pretty hard to define, and not everyone will agreee on the definition. What one guy thinks is a forgiving rig, someone else may think is quite touchy. I have two bows that have exactly 7" of brace height. I shoot them better than some other bows I have owned with 1/2 to 2" more brace height. It probably doesn' t make sense, but that is the way it has worked out. I have shot some very popular bows that many guys tend to call forgiving, only to find my " obsolete" bows to shoot better for me. Why? Beats me![&:]

To give you a more direct answer to your question, though.
I have been shooting a bow that has a 7 1/4" brace height that is 34" axle to axle. I shot it for close to a month with a Starhunter shoot through rest on it. Carefully tuned and checked for fletch clearance, also using feathers. Then I switched to a Whisker Biscuit (Aluminum size) that is modified to work like the new QL series. After completing the tuning process, I found no difference in forgiveness between the two rests. The bow will put every shot where it is supposed to go, unless the idiot behind the bow does something to interfere with a good shot. I personally do not find the bow less forgiving than it was with the shoot through rest, or less forgiving than some of the 40" + axle length, 9' + brace height bows that I have owned in the past. These results are not necessarily typical of a wider cross section of shooters. Your results may vary![&:]
Old 03-24-2003, 07:04 PM
CG

I have noticed in experimenting with the WB and the Trophy Taker (drop-away) that the WB changes impact point drastically with different hand positions where as the drop changes impact point very little with varied hand position.....This shows me that torque is exagerated w/ the WB......However, I still think that the WB is a fantastic HUNTING rest......
Old 03-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mixed handful of answers that leave me scratching my chin.

CG, your findings are close to what I was expecting. I guess the 8" brace height with a WB rest could come in handy if I decide to wear a large jacket with puffy sleaves!!.