Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 QAD HD Hoyt issues >

QAD HD Hoyt issues

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QAD HD Hoyt issues

Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default QAD HD Hoyt issues

Let me say im getting good groups but somethings hitting somewhere on this rest. Im not sure of the arrow or nocks hitting the rest or what but its a solid line down the launcher face from botto mto the top near the felt. No matter what way i twist the nock to adjust the vanes I still seem to get this line. The more I crank the bow up, the more it rubs also. Even though the bows shooting good, I dont like this contact. Ive moved the nock point up and down(1/8th and 1/4th). Right now I have it middle way between the 2. Ive read that form might cause this, springs, cable placement, and the nock loop. Ive moved the cable attachment about 50 times and right now its just getting on my nerves since nothing seems to fix it. Im shooting 60pounds, 29inch draw, and 28.5 400 arrows.

any ideas? Im thinking of just going back to the whisker biscuit since I cant fix this problem for nothing

Old 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Default RE: QAD HD Hoyt issues

i've had the same problem with my parker. i'm dealing with it till the season is over. i'm also shooting good groups. it's pretty frustrating, i tried everything and nothing worked. i'm switching back to the wb too.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

thats what im thinking... after this season Im gonna do away with it. I chrono alot and get funny speeds from 240 up to 270. Whether thats the chrono or not I dunno, but it groups good. Just the chrono spikes and the contact I see makes me wonder if they are related. Im just very picky about the perfect setup. Everyone says the timing cord has to be perfect. After adjusting it about 50 different ways I cant find the perfect spot I guess. I might have adjusted it 100 times since ive lost count. I know it comes up fully about 1inch before full draw so thats not the issue. The bad thing is, I cant shoot more than 62 pounds or it really starts leaving a mark.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Nothng is worth that much trouble. I'd move on to something that I was more comfortable with what shot consistently before heading into the woods.

Are you shooting odd vane down?? It sure looks like it. Shoot odd vane straight up and see what happens. I can't see how you can get that mark shooting odd vane straight up. Wipe that scuff mark off and start over....or scrapthe restaltogether.

I remember a post when you talked about buying this bow and it was a half inch to long for you. I know when I shoot a bow that's to long, I have a horrible time tuning it. Most guys over look that,and never think it can cause that kind of problem. But to long, or to short,and you will torque the bow and kick the arrow.

Have a pro shop check your cam timing also. If it's out of wack, nothing will work right. Check your tiller also.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

Have a pro shop check your cam timing also. If it's out of wack, nothing will work right. Check your tiller also.
Thats what I think the issue might be.... timing.

Crazy I shot you a PM back... sorry I didn't see it til today.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

the draw was actaully the perfect length. I use to shoot a 28.5 inch bow but that was to short and my actaul draw is 29 since ive grown a little since the old bow.

Im gonna get the pro shop to check the cam timing and etc since I did by the bow used and Im wondering if the guy ever had it tuned good or not. Its a good starting point LOL

I actaully moved the rest up one click(going by the lines on the vertical) and every shot is shooting 266fps now average. It was jumping from 240 to 270. Also tried keep the bow up during the follow through which seems to help. Whether its just my mind thinking its helping I dunno. I still see everynow and then where it peels the felt back so its still rubbing about 1 out of 8 shots. Also, i have cock vane at about 10oclock. Should I try straight up and see if that clears everything again?

but if my cam timing is out of whack, would that cause these issues off and on? So far and knock on wood with the good follow through and moving the rest to help clear the shelf a tad more had produced 266 average shot after shot now.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

update: Im blessed with a good sized garage so I went out and checked again at 20 yards. Put the cock vane up just to try. Kept good follow through and no contact out of 25 shots. I cranked the draw weight up to 62 just a tad hgher to see if any fps was gained and I averaged 270-272 on every shot compared to 266 average at 60 pounds. Still no contact compared to before where it really left a mark on the face above 60pounds draw weight

The only things adjusted was moving the rest up 1 measurement(vertical) to give slightly more shelf clearance. I always had a bad habit of dropping my arm after the shot. I stopped doing that. Kept pin on target untill hit. 1 of those 2 seemed to cure the issue for now. I put cock vane up also and I noticed that nothings hitting the felt anymore also. Hopefully ive found the issues and fixed them[8D]
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Judging from your pics, I'd say a cock vane at 10 oclock would make sense with the marks showing on the rest. Straight up is the way to go with that rest from my experience. I would still get your cam timing and lean checked out though. Hopefully they'll know what to look for.

I wouldn't worry so much about speed as I would arrow flight. Shoot through some paper and see what they are doing. Get the left/right close(assuming your vanes are clearing) Then proceed to your walk-back tuning and make final adjustments. .

Dropping your armsometimes results from trying to watch your arrow. Don't do that. Focus on your target dot, relax and squeeze the trigger. Let the release fire with a suprise and hold your focus on that dot till the arrow hits. Your brain needs to be focused on that dot, not the pin, and definitely not looking for the arrow.

Sounds like it's coming together for you. HOpe you get it rollin!

Just out of curiosity....how tall are you ?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

6ft 2 So yes the 29 is perfect for me I was 5 10 at the time I shot the 28inch draw so out grew that.

I shot more today and no marks yet. You are right about dropping the bow to see the hit. Ive stopped doing that and the bows shooting much better. I know it takes awhile to get things perfect. But im getting thereThanks for the help