Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Re-fletching my arrows.  A question. >

Re-fletching my arrows. A question.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Re-fletching my arrows. A question.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM

Default Re-fletching my arrows. A question.

I decided to re-fletch my arrows this year and try the Blazers that everyone seems to like. I wanted to go with shorter vanes to ensure clearance on my QAD rest. My son is also shooting a drop-away (NAP 2000) this year and I'm going to help him re-fletch his arrows as well.

My question is: Do you prefer to fletch the Blazers straight, offset or helical? Last night my Blitzenburger jig seemed to give me a little trouble when attaching the Blazers. It looked like I could only attach them straight or with a very very slight offset. I'm thinking the very slight offset will work fine but I'd like to hear some opinions.

I was also wondering if anybody has tried Bohning's Blazer Helix fletch jig. It is apparently designed to attach the Blazers with a helical twist.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Re-fletching my arrows. A question.

Slight offset will work ok. I use a Bitzenburger as well. Last year I fletched my arrows with as much offset as possible, while still maintaining a comfortable amount of fletching contact w/ the arrow.

This year I've fletched all of my arrows w/ a right helical. I actually get better fletching contact with helical than I did w/ the straight offset. You just need to get the helical clamp for the Bitz.

If you're shooting a fixed blade, you will get much better arrow flight with the offset or helical. Stay away from straight.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I off set all blazers.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bohing recommendsto either offset or use helical.

I also use a Bitz with right helical....
Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Bitz with a right helical and as much offset as I can get away with.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

i use the very slight offset on my blazers with the blitz jig.. just enough to help

but my question is, why are you switching to blazers if you have contact issues? The blazers stick out farther which will cause more contact issues. Im actaully going to 3inch vanes now to help since I have trouble with them clearing my QAD.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 AM

but my question is, why are you switching to blazers if you have contact issues? The blazers stick out farther which will cause more contact issues. Im actaully going to 3inch vanes now to help since I have trouble with them clearing my QAD.
Actually, I don't have clearance issues with my current vanes (4" quick spins). My thought however was to shorten the vanes to ensure that the rest drops before the vanes reached the rest. But now you have me thinking because I did not realize that the blazers were actually taller until you mentioned it. I did fletch two of my arrows with Blazers. I'll have to do some comparison testing. It might be too close to the season to make this kind of change.

Thank you all for the responses.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MJL927

Actually, I don't have clearance issues with my current vanes (4" quick spins). My thought however was to shorten the vanes to ensure that the rest drops before the vanes reached the rest. But now you have me thinking because I did not realize that the blazers were actually taller until you mentioned it. I did fletch two of my arrows with Blazers. I'll have to do some comparison testing. It might be too close to the season to make this kind of change.

Thank you all for the responses.
From 4" to the Blazers, your rest is long gone by that time. With the QAD, you do have to be careful that you aren't going to get contact with the Blazers. They are much higher in profile than a standard vane. I went to 3" vanes as a result of never-ending contact with the blazers.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot blazers and the QAD LD rest. I have no clearance problems with my setup but have heard of this happening in other posts depending on what brand bow people were shooting.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

ive finally got my clearance issues sorted out with the blazers and now im not getting contact. I did fletch some duravane predator vanes which arent as tall as the blazers and those worked well also

Quick Reply: Re-fletching my arrows. A question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.