Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Helical...Left, Right or None >

Helical...Left, Right or None

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Helical...Left, Right or None

Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Helical...Left, Right or None

How do you determine the correct Helical for your arrows? I mistakenly picked up a "straight" Arizona E-Z fletcher and have been using it for awhile now. Last night, while shooting at about 40 yards I noticed the my arrow flight is a little goofy. I'm still hitting where I'm aiming, but the arrows have a strange flight pattern.
Is it better to use a left or right helical? If so, how do you determine which and how much to use?
Craig
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Helical...Left, Right or None

Either one is OK. The left and right only come into play if you are shooting off the shelf. Some say the right helical will spin ina manner that will cause the tip to tighten instead of loosen but a little string wax on the threads would prevent tip rotation.

The goofy arrow flight can also be caused by a shooting form issue too. You may want to have someone stand off to the side and behind you to watch the arrow also. It may just be the way you see the arrow from your perspective.

How is Broadhead flight at that distance? Does it hit where you aim also like the FP's? Do your BH's hit the same as your FP's?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
bigcountry

Straight is fine for field points. But if you getting goofy flight with BH's, then they are planing on you. And for fixed BH's I always use hard helical.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM

You should try a helical fletch for broadheads, all my pro's always recommended.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

For Broadheads, I use all the helical I can get.

Dan
Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing that helical can help "correct" arrow flight issues caused by poor shooting form.... I need all the help I can find!

Seriously, I've found that a bit of helical (I prefer right) really really improves my accuracy.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM

RH/LH or RW/LW are only critical that you get the helical for which wing your natural feathers came from. A RH helical is for a right wing feather and left for left. That ensures that the natural curl of the feather matches the way you are bending it around your arrow. Other than that it doesn't matter a hoot if you spin them to the right (clockwise) or to the left (counterclockwise). If you're shooting vanes you can use any of the three you want. Just make sure that you can get them to clear through your rest. If you don't want to go to a helical clamp you can put more offset in your straight fletch jig and get the same effect although helical will spin your shafts a bit more than an equally offset straight fletch.