Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help another Release question?? >

Help another Release question??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help another Release question??

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help another Release question??

I am thinking of purchasing a new release but am curious of a few things. I like the stlye of release pictured below, because of the rope/strap going to the head instead of a hard shank.

I shoot off the string no D-Loop. Is there anything in particular I wanna purchase for shooting like so?

Whats the difference between single and dual caliper?

Other then comfort, what other things do I wanna look for in a good release?

Any reccomendations would be nice as I will be hitting up some archery shops in my travels this week! Thanks....!!

Velcro or buckle? I know thats a comfort thing, but any pro's or con's??

Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help another Release question??

For shooting off a string I like the single caliper style releases like the Scott Mongoose.It does not wear out serving at all,gives a cleaner release than a dual imo and for those like me that like to anchor pretty solid on the face with the release,the fixed side of the caliper head will sit against your face without any fear of the face putting pressure on the inside jaw of a dual caliper.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 PM

TFox pretty well covered the issue of the Dual vs Single. I happen to think that the single does release a little smoother.

As for other features, I like the convenience of velcro. I also like that you can in theory wash the fabric and it won't absorb smells like leather. Also leather tends to make a creaking sound while drawing as pressure it applied. This nearly cost me a bear once. It heard that leather skrreeeek as I drew and whirled and ran out of the bait site. It did come back and darn if it didn't do it again. Third time he came in I got it back a little quieter or he had just heard it enough he decided not to run, not sure which, but it was his last mistake.
Also shoot them all. Some have different trigger angles. I for one had a hard time adjusting to the backward lying angle of the TruBall releases, but I got the hang of it after a while and now wouldn't shoot anything else. An adjustable trigger angle is avail on some models. Just be sure it fits into or just forward of the first joint of your index finger (from the tip that is).
Of course nearly all of them have an adjustable trigger for travel. Be sure that the jaws close on release of the trigger, don't get a hunting release that you have to push the trigger forward to close the jaw. That is just unhandy.
Remember above all KISS
Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points about duel VS single and about fit.

I have a differnet opion about velco VS leather buckle. I used velcor for years and always had to deal withhow noisy it was trying to put it on without it catching on something.Whether it was my pocket trying to get it out or my sleeve when moving in the stand it always seemed to be hnging on something. and taking it off sounded like setting off fireworks.

I currently have a TRUball Copperhead with the leather buckle strap and couldn't be happier. Once my strap was broken in it made no sound at all. I personally prefer a release that has a rotating head too. Depending on how you draw and hold on your face you cancreate torque onthe string if your hand does not sit in a way that allows the jaw/s to sit right. You have to pull on the trigger to open the jaws and then they close automatically which is anotehr nice feature.

Try a few releases out before buying one or you could be just wasting your money. I bought one a few eyars ago that was not made for someone with a long draw length like me and when my hand was anchored on my face the string sat about an inch from my nose. Way too long from the trigger to the jaws.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM

davepjr, good point on the rotating head, I forgot that one. Wouldn't buy one without it.

I can't say I ever really had any issues w/my velcro hanging up. While it is a little noisy, I never really had it become an issue. But hey, that's why we have choices. Whichever we like best is what we have the option to do....as do you WesternMd. So, as we have all said, try different ones and see which one you like.

Oh, and I don't think any of us have mentioned the nylon strap attatchment you like. While it is good to keep the head tucked away, and out of the way. It is also silent and adjustable. However, the one thing about the all=thread through the tubing types is they are always held at the ready and takes much less movement to fasten to the string. Just a thought, but there are pro's and cons to each. See what works for you.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Seth,
I bought a Carter Quickie this year and I really love it. Took a couple of days to get used to, but that's probably becauseI had used a Winn Free Flight for about 15 yrs. straight. The Carter has a very crisp trigger which after getting used to I really like.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!!

TFOX~~ When you say singles give a better release such as the mongoose, is the difference just in how many notches are in the inside of the caliper??

I will see which strap fits me best? I was more worried about isses with JUST velcro not holding tight and coming loose at full draw?? I will check them all out!!

DryRidge~~ I started out with a nylon(actually rope) strap release 12yrs ago and still use it today. I have grown accustom to the head being out of the way, I cant stand the feel of the shaft in the way, I guess it would just take some getting used too?? Once again I will try each and everyone I can!!!

DavePJR~~ I have been eyeing up that copperhead as it looks to have all that I am looking for, I do tend to shoot like TFOX said using the back end of the solid head to anchor against my face.. SO I am sure I do tend to "torque" the string and this is something I never even thought of till now! Thanks!!

OldVT(Teammate)~~ I am not sure if the hook on the end of the head would be the best thingto use on just the string?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe it is smoother because you don't have to worry about 1 side not being in unison with the other side.I would always have my face hit the inside of a dual which I always had a tough time with paper but when I went to a single,paper was much better.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The good thing about the Copperhead is that the calipers are tapered and are small. I was just looking at some pictures and my hand is tucked tight against my face withe the barrel of the release against my face. Look at the difference between the calipers on the release you posted and the copperhead attached. Because the calipers aren't even in parallel with the barrel upon release it shouldn't hit your face. Small and tapered. I had a trufire that had large calipers and had issues with it hitting my face when I released.

TFOX has stated a lot of good reasons to look at a single caliper. I've read a lot though that the single is supposed to be smoother and easier on the string and most of the shooters I know use the single caliper.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again fellows, so do they happen to make a single caliber copperhead or one in which is still similiar??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Help another Release question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.