Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Getting the pin on target >

Getting the pin on target

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Getting the pin on target

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting the pin on target

I am steadily improving with my shooting, but would like some advice about aiming. About half my shots are within a 3 inch circle.. but the rest are maybe within 6 inches. Once I draw and get everything lined up I am often aimed somewhere on the target other than the bullseye. Then sometimes I will sort of 'push' my bow arm in the direction of the bullseye at the last second. I know this is a bad habit, and produces mixed results. I believe you are supposed to move at the waist to change your aim, right?
I know how to do it with a rifle, but any tips on lining up on the bullseye appreciated.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Getting the pin on target

I shoot the best when I am able to concentrate on holding the pin above the target then dropping it into place. Before that I was having trouble holding the pin directly on the target, might be a form of panic but approaching the target from the top has helped me the most. I tried it from the bottom as well but fighting gravity just did not make sense to me and I found my shoulder tired faster that way with a few arrows being pushed high at times.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM

its called "target panic"...what you can do is when you pull back drop the pin into the bulls eye, like rhustek mentiond,and from 20yds shoot at a paper plate size bull eye untill you startholding the pin in the middle and hittingit and that worked for me

if you type in target panic on google im sure you'll find alot more tips
Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM

I draw, anchor, as I am taking a breath, I let the pin rise up to the target. Then I pull the trigger.

Lately thought...I've been punching the trigger. Gosh darn Target Panic got me this year.

A buddy of mine (DAVEPJR71) told me to draw the bow, put the finger on the trigger, put the pin on the target, hold for a few seconds, let down. Repeat.

Target panic will vanish.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 AM

I had probably the most informative practice tip today. I drew the bow and just aimed the pin. I had a friend touch the releasetrigger to let the arrow go. After about 3 shots it trained me to AIM the pin and not anticipate the release. Focus the pin and aim and let the bow shoot the arrow. The only thought that now enters my mind is holding that pin steady on the target.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

after the target panic is cured, try going to a smaller target...

i regularly practice on golf tees pushed into my targets...that is a small target...forces me to pick a spot because its a tiny spot....

also, fatigue may be playing roll....many guys are drawing too much weight...very common problem....
Old 08-23-2008, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: khawk

I had probably the most informative practice tip today. I drew the bow and just aimed the pin. I had a friend touch the releasetrigger to let the arrow go. After about 3 shots it trained me to AIM the pin and not anticipate the release. Focus the pin and aim and let the bow shoot the arrow. The only thought that now enters my mind is holding that pin steady on the target.
thats what theUSA archery team do everyday in practice, thats hard to do
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

awesome stuff. I am already seeing some improvement in today's practice session. Also I am trying to practice not rushing the shot.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: khawk

Interesting, now I'll have to get a chair for my 4 yr old so she can climb up there and bump the trigger for me!!!! Seriously though, that's something that would seem to help.

Sky guy,
I find that the approach from the top not the bottom or the side seems to help me as well. Follow through seems to be what gets me after I shoot for a while, and once I re-focus, I'm usually happy again. Dropping your weight 5-7#'s and shooting at lower weight also helps a lot of times when you just need to focus on mechanics. I have a second 50-60# bow, and I've shot it at everything from 48# to 63# for form and mechanics practice.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

also focus on follow through. dont shoot and look to see where the arrow went. that will also cause you to anticipate the shot part and not the aim part. anchor and align everything perfectly and focus hard with your eyes on what you want to hit and after you release, keep looking at that spot adn let the bow and your release arm do as they will. the more and more you shoot the better you will be able to anchor and just see what you are wanting to hit instead of just trying to hold the pin there.
btw, target panic is extremely common and gets us all from time to time. you will get out of it though, just be persistant.
good luck
Derek

Quick Reply: Getting the pin on target

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.