Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Setting center shot the easy way >

Setting center shot the easy way

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setting center shot the easy way

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Setting center shot the easy way

With the percession machining of todays bows there is a easy and cheap way of setting the center shot.

You dont need a expensive laser or any other high tech gismo.

This is how I set my center shot.

First I take a large rubber band and place it over the top limb bolt then stretch it to the bottom limb bolt. If your bow does not have the raised Allen head screws insert a Allen wrench in each limb bolt and stretch the band around the wrenches.

Then load a arrow placing it the gap of the rubber band.

If your center shot is off the arrow will push the band to the left or right now adjust the rest so the arrow is in the middle of the band.

Then with that done move onto the next step in the tuning process.

I have been using this method for well over 10 years and it has yet to let me down.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Setting center shot the easy way

That is basically the same as where I start(centering with the limb bolts).I look down the from the top through the cam,limb bolts and stabilizer (I eyeball all 3 inline)and it has put very close everytime.Of course,I think group tuning for those that can do it is the way to go.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used this center shot method today and it worked great.

Easy, cheap, simple, expedient. Could save a hunt in the event of a broken or bentrest.

Should get a sticky or one of those cool, antlerreward things.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:10 AM

That's an awesome trick thanks for the info!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wont that stupid rubber band get in the way when you shoot. Are you stupid or what.. ???????????????
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM

I just eyeball mine and start tuning, since you will probably end up tweaking it a little anyway.

Paul
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Russell I tried that last year after you first told be about it. The first rubber band snapped and popped me in the mouth! So guys make sure the band you use is long enough! I tried again and got it right!
Hey Russ, I'm at work all weekend for the shutdown so no shooting but man those Outbacks are flying good!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Russ, I'm at work all weekend for the shutdown so no shooting but man those Outbacks are flying good!

So have you drawn any blood with them and the new bow yet?

I'll get that other string done for you so you can pick it up next week on your way to the lease.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:16 PM

Also keep in mind your string is not always inline with your limb bolts, depends on your cam design and a few other things.

Paul
Old 08-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good point Paul,I find with my bow,it has to be just outside of the limb bolts to be dead on.On my Hoyts,13/16 to the center of the arrow off the inside of the shelf is REALLY close.I just got done group tuning my hunting bow and I was justunder 13/16 dead center ,centershot.BUT,if you use this method,it will put you way inside of centershot.

I checked my walk back and it was dead on,my broadheads hit VERY CLOSE(no discernable difference)to the same poi as fieldpoints to 30 yards(as far as I tried them) and paper yields about a 1/4" tear at 7-8 feet.

But I will eye ball as I mentioned above the center ofall 3(limb bolt,cam and stabilizer),mainly on bows I am not familiar with where their centershot is.

Quick Reply: Setting center shot the easy way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.