Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 sighting in broadheads >

sighting in broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sighting in broadheads

Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM

Default sighting in broadheads

Does all broadhead flight fly different from fieldtips? Last year I shot 60 lbs with 100 grain expandables and 27 in Red Head Carbon Fury 4560Blazer Vane shafts.The expandablesseemed to group the same as my fieldpoints. This year however I turned my weight up to 68 lbs and am shooting 100 grain muzzy mx3's. I am noticing a big difference in the groups between the tips. I hate to practice with my broadheads but if I have to I will. I was just wondering if there was something I could do or if I should try a different broadhead. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sighting in broadheads

With any high quality broadhead you should be able to get them to group about the same as your field tips. You have to make sure your bow is perfectly tuned. The easiest way to do it would probably be to shoot a group with your broadheads and then a group with your field tips. Once you have done that you adjust your rest in very small incriments to bring the groups together. Keep in mind your field point group wont move nearly as much as your broadhead group will. With that in mind you adjust your rest to move your broadhead group towards your field tips. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you check your tuning after increasing draw weight? The 4560's are not meant for over 60 lbs unless you have a short DL and arrow and a lighter tip than 100 gr. I never rely just onpapertuning but check paper tune and see if the bow is still in.

Depending on your bow, arrow length and draw length your arrows are probably underspined with the increase in draw weight. Which way are the BH's flying differently, left, right, high low, a combination?

Try tuning like passthru stated and see if you can get them back together.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM

The bh's are flying low and left. Low 2 in. and left about .5 to 1 in.. I also noticed this evening that it seems my arrow has a slight kick left about midway to the target. With all that said, I did get a good group in a 2 in. square. What type of arrow do you recommend? My draw length is 28.5.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your arrow is consistantly kicking left you need to adjust your rest slightly. As far as arrows, I like goldtips myself. But any of the major ones are good. I would try and stay with a straightness of .003 and a weight tolerance of +/- 3 grains per dozen, if you stay with those tolerances its a pretty safe bet your getting good quality arrows.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM

As far as adjusting the rest, which direction? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could be wrong but if its kicking left I believe you need to bring your rest to the the right, try adjusting it and if it doesnt help or gets worse take it the other way.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: khawh

As far as adjusting the rest, which direction? Thanks for your help.
Opposite the direction of the arrow's impact. For example, an arrow impacting left, move arrow rest in very small increments (1/32") to the right.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the best scenerio then you need to get stiffer arrows for shooting broadheads. At least a 340 spine. You are presently shooting a 400 spine--not stiff enough. The other alternative is to turn the bow down to about 60# or even less.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your arrow is shorther or the same as your 28.5 DL you may be ok with those arrows. You can add a wrap to your arrows to stiffen them up.

It sounds like your tuning is getting close and you do need to adjust a little to the right. You also need to restup a littlea little or your nock down a little. 1/32" max.

If you go with Gold Tip get the 5575's and you will have good spine. If you stick with the Redhead arrows go to a 6075 shaft and you will be good too. A little stiffer spine is always recommended for hunting.

Quick Reply: sighting in broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.