Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Longest Shot taken on Deer >

Longest Shot taken on Deer

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Longest Shot taken on Deer

Old 03-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Longest Shot taken on Deer

From a reply to pin settings posted 3/8 03. I don,t even know how to word this, and no next to nothing about the NFAA. But my longest shot on a deer was 39-41 yds. But if your pin is set at 80 yds and your scoring ,what would be the longest shot these (pros) or you are taking at deer. Providing there is a clear shot. Always wondered this. And please don,t answer what ever your comfortable with, I would like some yardage from those of you who have taken a Long Distance Shot and SUCEEDED. Thank You.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Longest Shot taken on Deer

I almost posted this the other day but felt like it would turn into an ethical debate.
My longest is 41 yards.
Although I know some guys that have taken some a lot further on mule deer:

1 shot a mulie at 68 yrds 2 years ago.And the other shot a huge mulie this year at 85 yrds.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally my longest was a mulie buck at 41 yards. I have maxed my range to be 40 for perfect conditions, but practice up to 60 yards finding this really tightens my groups at 20 and 30 where I have taken most my shots on game. I know of one individual who shot a mulie at 71 yards last fall and another who shot his Bull elk at 68 yards last fall. Both shooter are very accomplished and feel they can easily harvest game at 80 yards, provided perfect conditions. To me that is a bit of stretch even knowing how they shoot, a animal moves at that distance ever so slightly and you have a very poor result. I prefer to shoot under 30 yards and have passed deer that were outside this for one reason or another. The only reason I shoot my mulie was dead calm, broadside looking away, I had the exact range on him and new my pin set was perfect for that shot. The end result was a perfect double lung pass through and watched the buck crash not 100 yards away, howevr I also know that had the wind been up, the position of the animal been altered and not getting a range on him, I would have elected to wait or pass. That is where personal ethics come in, just IMHO.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:49 PM

35 yds, give or take an inch
Old 03-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2003, 08:18 PM

35 yards, I shoot instinctively with my compound and didn' t think the buck was that far. My arrow took out both lungs, but I won' t try a shot that far again unless the situation is as perfect as that one was.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:23 AM

My longest kill on a mulie was 58 yds. I did here of one taken in southern AZ this year at 103 yds by a pro shooter.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:30 PM

Hi,

This was three decades ago and I was still shooting my recurve.

The buck was 43 yards away an drilled him with a Bear razorhead.

Normally I would never shoot that far,but the deer stood for over 5 minutes in one spot wide open.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:35 PM

I am very proud to say that the longest ive ever had to take on a Whitetail was 23 yards. :-) I like that record. Allthough, i did shoot a duck at 53 yards. Does that count?
Old 03-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Spike

38&39yds one week apart in the same spot. 40 is my limit,and there are still to
many variables that can make a shot go bad at 40!!

Puttem in the K-ZONE,AL

Quick Reply: Longest Shot taken on Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.