Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Guru's- tell me if it makes sense >

Arrow Guru's- tell me if it makes sense

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Guru's- tell me if it makes sense

Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Arrow Guru's- tell me if it makes sense

My new arrows, properly spined, are Easton Epic 400's (26.5" long arrow, 60 lb single cam bow), and with a 125 grain tip weigh 409 grains. This is what I plan to shoot for this season.

However, I have some arrows left over from last years setup I would like to be able to salvage and not throw away. They are the old CX Eliminator 250's(no longer in production, can't find info on them), and with the 100 grain tip I shot last year weigh 364 grains. I was thinking of replacing the factory insert with a 50 grain brass insert to bump the weight up to 414 grains, and use them for my hog hunting. That way I can still use the arrows and all my 2 blade 100 grain Magnus broadheads I have been using for hogs. Does it makes sense, and should they shoot about the same, or is it a pot luck try it and see kind of thing? My hog hunting is pretty short range, if that helps any.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Guru's- tell me if it makes sense

They should work fine.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

They should work fine.
But don't be surprized if they don't shoot exactly the same. Carbon arrows tend to degrade spine with use, and at different rates from arrow to arrow, so they probably won't group as tight as your new ones. As long as the brass inserts don't mess up their spine - I'm feeling too lazy to check the charts this morning, so I'm leaving that one with you - they'll do fine for close range hog poppin' or small game busters.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks Guys. The arrows were originally spined for 125 grain tip, then I dropped the tip down to a 100 and bumped my draw weight a little bit to partially compensate. I also forgot, that when the brass insert goes in, the cx insert will come out, and I didn't subtract for that either. I think spine will be fine, but like I said I can't find any charts for that arrow any more. I'm gonna try it anyways. Hogs are hard on arrows and I try to set up at 15-20 yards on them anyways. I think it will work for what I need.