Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

pin blurr

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default pin blurr

I'm using a hindsight with a true-glo bowsight. The pins are .29. I love the setup but the pins always seem to glow. I want to practice on 30 and 40 yard shots so I can be better 25 yards and under but the glow of the pins make it hard to be precise.

Any suggestions? I went to the optomitrist and they tried several different types of glasses but they made me sick! I typically don't wear glasses on a daily basis (I'm 61) but do wear them when I hunt. It gets slightly blurry trying to watch for game without glasses.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pin blurr

Gettin' old sucks, doesn't it. You might try .019 pins and see if they help. Smaller pins are better on longer distance targets anyway. Those big .029 pins cover up too much of the aim point on distant targets. I don't know how your eyes react to different colors, but I always found green to be much clearer than red or amber. Some guys say blue is especially nice at cutting down the haze too, but I never tried it.

The only real solution I found for my aging eyesight was to take the sights off, pitch 'em in the junk drawer and shoot barebow.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Gettin' old sucks, doesn't it. You might try .019 pins and see if they help. Smaller pins are better on longer distance targets anyway. Those big .029 pins cover up too much of the aim point on distant targets. I don't know how your eyes react to different colors, but I always found green to be much clearer than red or amber. Some guys say blue is especially nice at cutting down the haze too, but I never tried it.

The only real solution I found for my aging eyesight was to take the sights off, pitch 'em in the junk drawer and shoot barebow.
Welcome to aging. I findit easierto not concentrate on the pins as much as focusing on the target. It that makes any sense.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Spike

Try looking at this link http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2851581&mpage=1&key=VERIFIER&amp ;#2853666

I've never used one but my red pin gets blurry sometimes and I'm thinking about trying it one day.

Hope this helps

Jeff
Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Spike

Gettin' old might suck but it's a whole lot better than not gettin' old!

Hey, wait a minute... I refuse to accept that 61 is OLD! No way... it's only 19 upside down! Maybe there's a connection with the .019 pins?

I've thought about the .019 pins and I also agree that the green pins are easier for me to see. That's probably why the manufacturer puts one green sight pin and all the rest colors you can't see! Somebody is NOT thinking in the lab are they?

I've been playing, on and off, all day, and have made some nice 30 yard shots and have also blown a few too. I think I will practice a few more days to see if I can adjust before I make any changes.

Thanks for the input. Hey "Rev", speaking of input, if you could just......

Jack
Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Spike

Thanks Jeff. I found the website and looked it over. I had seen these previously but there are no dealers in my area. I called the company and they gave me more info. It probably will work but I hate to cough up $50 for the kit without actually seeing it. Plus I really like the hindsight that I'm using. Something to keep in mind though.

Jack
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed that the amber and red pins blur a lot more for me and I have very good eyes (20/10). Like Rev said, work on concentrating on your target and let the pin float more or less. I've been doing that lately and it seems to be working quite well.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:41 AM
Spike

I went on the TruGlow website and they do have .019 pin kits available. Unfortunately, they are a mix of colors. I called them and left a message for them to call me. Hopefully, I can buy a pack of 5 green .019 pins.

I have a young grandson with me today so I probably won't get a chance to shoot today but I've been reading on other sites where you concentrate on the pin and let the target go blurry, which is the opposite of what was said here. Anyway, I will consciously try both methods to see what will work best for my eyes. Thanks for the input.

Jack