Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Grains?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Grains?

What you are shooting right now is enough to "wallop" any deer and keep going after a pass through. According to GT's website you are shooting a 5575 that weighs 337.2 grains (close to your 338) and this is enough for deer sized game. With standard nocks and inserts and a 75 gr head the FOC is 9.3%. OK, but not ideal. The usual accepted rule is somewhere between 10% and 15% FOC. I've shot arrows anywhere from 7% to 17% and gotten the job done. Rules are made to be broken and sometimes changed.

FOC is what helps keep the arrow on track at longer distances. The arrow has to have enough point weight to pull the arrow along. Too little and groups open up at longer distances. The 9.3% might be OK for most deer hunting yardages, say 30 yards or less. After that the arrow may tend to wander. 100 gr head might be advisable. Best way to find ut is to get some 100 gr field points and see if the arrows group tighter at 25 yards and longer; especially if you expect to shoot beyond 30 yards. Shoot them at a distance equal to or beyond the longest distance you expect to shoot at deer.

Going with the heavier head you might expect to slightly retune the bow and most likely resight as well. You have all summer. Get to it.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am shooting 5575. I honestly don't know anything about FOC. If I switch to 100gr. heads would it be better?
IMO yes. The added weight up front will be beneficial.

Also, by going to a little heavier head that would give you a better spined arrow. Right now you arewell onthe stiff side of things.Even with a 100 grain head you are still going to have a stiff arrow.Honestly, I would also try 125 grain heads.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thank You. I will try some 100gr. heads.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Thank You. I will try some 100gr heads.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls said my arrows are well on the stiff side. What exactly does this mean? What is arrow spine? I do know you don't want an underspined arrow. Are overspined arrows ok? What else can I do to get thespine down? Can I cut my arrows longer? They are to the middle of my riser shelf right now ( at full draw). Sorry for all the questions just want my arrows setup right.

Thank You.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

A slightly over spined arrow is no big problem and preffered for broad heads but a way over spined arrow is almost the same result in a under spined arrow ( poor flight, less penetration, open groups etc)

You can either add weight to the front of your current arrows to get the spine down or you can cut future arrows longer to get the spine back down.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: luke/r

I am shooting 5575. I honestly don't know anything about FOC. If I switch to 100gr. heads would it be better?
I definitely would want to up my FOC by going to a 100 grain or even 125 grain head. Too Low Foc is Not good with Broadheads.

Dan
Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

I got some 100gr tips today and I shot a little. My arrows at 40 and 50 yards flew good but at 20 and 30 yards the arrows almost seemed to have a whip or kick to them.I will shoot again in a day or two .Tonite was anoff shooting night I just couldn't keep a groupat any yardage. Would shooting the arrows without a wrap help out also or doesn't a 4.5in wrap weigh enough to matter?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM

according to gold tip he is right in @ a litle over 10 % foc he is fine blazers flecthing helps on weight if he goes 10 100 grain he is too front heavy. I would look to 85 grain at max for his set up
Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jamaltwy

according to gold tip he is right in @ a litle over 10 % foc he is fine blazers flecthing helps on weight if he goes 10 100 grain he is too front heavy. I would look to 85 grain at max for his set up
I run a minimum of 12% on FOC with broadheads and have my FMJ's at over 21%.

Too Front heavy??That is just an opinion I would rather be on the heavy side on the front end versus light. It's like trying to throw a feather.

While you may get broadhead tippedarrows to fly ok with marginal FOC's. I doubt there is anybody that wouldn't see improved groups especially at distance with a higher FOC

That's MHO!!

Dan

Quick Reply: Arrow Grains?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.