Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 An amateur archer looking for advice... >

An amateur archer looking for advice...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

An amateur archer looking for advice...

Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Default An amateur archer looking for advice...

Hey all. My first time here so bear with me.

I've been in dire straights trying to find the answer to this problem so I turned to the internet and found this forum. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I am no pro. I've participated in archery for a good chunk of my life at camp and such, so last summer I happend upon an old Bear bow at the flee market, so I bought it. It was ok. Unfortunately I exposed it to too much heat this summer and it warped, rendering it useless. So I began to research what to buy and I happend upon the Bear Warrior bow. I didn't want to spend a lot and I'm not going to hunt with it so I figured it was a good buy based on some reviews I read.

Here's a link to the bow I bought at Dicks: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2781470

Anyway, long story short, the draw length is a few inches too short for me. I'm 6' and it draws out to about an inch before my nose. The manual explained that the length can be adjusted by changing "the elements". However nothing was included with the bow. I'm assuming it's referring to the cams, but I know nothing about it. Can anyone tell me how to change the cams, or what ever needs to be done to the bow in order to keep it in a safe condition for someone like me? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM

Default RE: An amateur archer looking for advice...

If you are as you say no pro, and are not familiar with changing out your Cams ( Or on some bows a element or module, I will admit I did not check the link you included ) I would highly recommend you do not attempt this yourself and go to a pro shop and let them do it. Most bow require a bow press and good knowledge. This is really not a job for a beginner.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The link doesn't work for me, but that's of little consequence. WB gave you sage advice. Very few of us on these forums are pro's. We're just addicted amateurs. Take the bow to a local bowshop (yellow pages) and they should be able to elp you best. Probably all that needs changed is a draw length module on the cam itself--a relatively inexpensive endeavor if parts are still available.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your link doesn't work, either an over eager moderator or the profanity filter got rid of the or D.I.C.K.S as in D.I.C.K.s sporting goods. you purchanse a youth bow, one made for younder kids. I assume your a grown man or close to it. I suspect you are pretty much out of luck as far as making that bow fit you. you need to have your draw length measured and find a bow that fits. The max draw length on that one is 25" and at 6' I am betting yoru closer to 29/30 than you are to 25". If your in or near VA I may be able to help you out, otherwise see if you can take the bow back and find something that fits you.