Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Changing Arrows

Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Changing Arrows

You could go with a REALLY heavy point, a 200gr tip would make the spine close,
I totally agree.

but that would make your FOC so far out of whack it'd never work well.
Now this remarkis just pure and utter BS.

The higher the FOC the arrow is going to stabilize quicker giving you better flight, it will also be less prone to wind drift specially in a strong cross wind, give you more momentium which leads to more penetration.

My hunting arrows have a 100gr brass insert and a 125gr head giving me a 24% FOC and the only complaints I have had so far are from the animals I have shot with them. My 3d arrows have a 170gr point and a FOC of 20% the only complaints I get from those are from the others trying to pull them from the targets.

Do some research before you go opening your mouth and spilling BS.

Here I will even give the link so you can read what Dr Ed Ashby has to say and he has spent a life time researching bows and arrows.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

You could go with a REALLY heavy point, a 200gr tip would make the spine close,
I totally agree.

but that would make your FOC so far out of whack it'd never work well.
Now this remarkis just pure and utter BS.

The higher the FOC the arrow is going to stabilize quicker giving you better flight, it will also be less prone to wind drift specially in a strong cross wind, give you more momentium which leads to more penetration.

My hunting arrows have a 100gr brass insert and a 125gr head giving me a 24% FOC and the only complaints I have had so far are from the animals I have shot with them. My 3d arrows have a 170gr point and a FOC of 20% the only complaints I get from those are from the others trying to pull them from the targets.

Do some research before you go opening your mouth and spilling BS.

Here I will even give the link so you can read what Dr Ed Ashby has to say and he has spent a life time researching bows and arrows.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24
I may be wrong, but I didn't think you wanted a compound bow to have much over 14% FOC. I've never set anything up this way, though, so I can't say how they'll fly. No reason to get overblown though, I was just trying to help a guy out.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You see an awful lot of things on the internet that don't hold water and there are a lot of myths about going over and above on FOC. Like that 14% limit. Another popular bit of nonsense is that a very high FOC will make your arrows fly nose down. The problem is that going heavy on tip weight adds to total arrow weight, which flies in the face of ultra light arrows and the flat trajectories demanded by the speed cultists. I think Kanga is just reacting to the frustration of knowing how well a high FOC works and constantly having to contradict the myths but then.... He's pretty outspoken anyway and doesn't mind calling a spade a spade.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kanga,,, I guess I have to change my set up. That dang ole 21 % FOC sux. Anyone what to buy some 220 grain Muzzy Phantoms? They might still have some blood on them from complete pass thoughs (whitetail and hogs).

Who is feeding these people information? Reminds me of the song a my band wrote. - "The blind leading the blind" [8D]

BTW, if you don't increase your FOC you need to be looking at getting some 500 spine arrows.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kanga,,, I guess I have to change my set up. That dang ole 21 % FOC sux.
Bob.

Just get some 100gr brass inserts to screws those suckers into

He's pretty outspoken anyway and doesn't mind calling a spade a spade.
Art.

How many times to I have to tell ya it's a bloody shovel[8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many times to I have to tell ya it's a bloody shovel
'Bout another bleedin' 10 or 12 times. [8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Spike

Where can I get a 200 grain field point or a 100 grain brass insert?

Also, How would I take out and replace the inserts that are already in the arrows?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: pizzitem

Where can I get a 200 grain field point or a 100 grain brass insert?

Also, How would I take out and replace the inserts that are already in the arrows?

Thanks
Jeff
You can ask you local bow shop to order you some of these, Phantom Muzzys 200 or 220 grain with the bleeder vanes...

You can order 100 grain brass inserts from www.3riversarchery.com

Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your local bow shop should be able to order you some 200gr field points as well or you can get them from 3rivers at the link Bob suplied
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Mark a nmber on one of the vanes of each Gold Tip . See if the same two fliers are the same or not . Just an added thought .

Quick Reply: Changing Arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.