Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how to tie serving? >

how to tie serving?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how to tie serving?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: how to tie serving?

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

thats mo, thats exactly what i was looking for
I highly recommend you stay away from trying to serve the way he did. It will not serve tight enough. I like my serving to be tight and never slide. To serve as fast as he did, you have to set the tension way too loose for my taste.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Back serving is the easiest way, or you can use the string pull though methoid. Mo's video shows the back serve well.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

thats mo, thats exactly what i was looking for
I highly recommend you stay away from trying to serve the way he did. It will not serve tight enough. I like my serving to be tight and never slide. To serve as fast as he did, you have to set the tension way too loose for my taste.
I agree. When you swing serve like he does, it will leave a baggy serving job. Best is to set your tension kind of tight and do it by hand. I too like my serving to stay where I put it and not have to deal will baggy ends out in the field.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

i want going to serve as fast as he did anyway, lol
im going to take my time and get it on as tight as possible
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 PM

That video just illustrates the process and the back serve really well. I also set my jig really tight so that the serving is not sloppy. I just figured that was a good video to show the process.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rory the bohning kit as mentioned has a great instructional DVD. It comes with a cable spreader, serving tool, string, and string splitter and the DVD. It is a good starter kit but im not real impressed with the serving tool. Its either to tight or to loose on the tension no happy medium. serving is easy after you do a couple.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i want going to serve as fast as he did anyway, lol
im going to take my time and get it on as tight as possible
If you want to hold string leeches or a wheel peep or a tru-aligner type peep in place, you can tie simple serving knots to accomplish it. Backserving is really the hardest part of it, and it is really quite simple once you are shown how its done. Its dang near impossible to explain to someone. Just remember to always wrap in the same direction (I always go AWAY from me). For things like silencers/leeches, I usually just cut free about a foot to 18" of thread, wax it well, and make five wraps over the tag end to start, then pull the tag end back tight, then backserve 5 wraps. It is loose, and you can slide it, but thats the beauty of it. You want to be able to adjust the exact position of your peep (in some cases, this is the case with new set ups I do in the shop... after I get the height set for a customer I serve them in place and they go nowhere). But you want to be able to move you silencers so that you can tune the bow for speed/stealth a bit. There is a sweet spot for those things where speed loss is minimal and sound/twang reduction is still significant.

If you check out Greg/MOs post on tying in nock sets and D-Loops, he used the "pull through" method with dental floss to tie his nock sets. I do the same thing, only with backserving because I'm not nimble enough to use pull through on a vertically set string (I need to have it in a press just to hold it horizontal... not pressed fully, just as an extra set of hands).