Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What age to get son into bow shooting >

What age to get son into bow shooting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What age to get son into bow shooting

Old 06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Spike

Default What age to get son into bow shooting

hey everyone,

Like the title states. My son is currently 5 1/2 years old and is showing interest in my bow/shooting. He is above the average 5 year old for hieght and weight(if it matters). He is abou 46 inches tall and about 55 pounds and in my opinion stronger than most 5 year olds. What age do you guys recommend I start getting him into bow shooting if his interest is true. Also what are some good bows for kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What age to get son into bow shooting

check out the micro midas series or even the mathews genesis bow, get him started as soon as possible, its great to get hooked on shooting a bow then getting hooked on video games and i know how little kids will get addicted to whatever they try (i have a lil brother who is 5 1/2)
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

get him something very light
the main thing is dont make him shoot, hell show interest when he wants to shoot
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can find so many bows for him to shoot. I would take him to the store and see if they will let him shoot a few and get his opinion on what he likes. My daughter started shooting around 5 with a recurve. Just before she turned 7 I moved in up to a Diamond Edge.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started both my boys at age 3, on those plastic toy suction cupped deals. From there they both used a fiberglass limbed bear wheel kids bow around age 5, next was Golden Eagle lil' brave's ( I still have 2 those sitting around), then both moved up to youth bows. 1 had a Champion youth, other still using the Alpine Micro. My oldest is now in a adult bow. I think age 5 might be too small for youth style bow.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

I started both my boys at age 3, on those plastic toy suction cupped deals. From there they both used a fiberglass limbed bear wheel kids bow around age 5, next was Golden Eagle lil' brave's ( I still have 2 those sitting around), then both moved up to youth bows. 1 had a Champion youth, other still using the Alpine Micro. My oldest is now in a adult bow. I think age 5 might be too small for youth style bow.
My son has one of the suction cup toy bows. This one came with 2 strings one red one black. The red one is very lite on pull good for shooting in the house. The black is much tighter on the bow limbs and give more velocity and distance(better for outside play). He is getting better with it as he uses it. He was hitting the stainless steel diswasher and making them stick 2 out of 5 shots. I was thinking the same thing once I did some research on the net and found some of the bows you named.

Andrew
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

the main thing is dont make him shoot, hell show interest when he wants to shoot
That is what I was planning on doing. I see it to many times around here where the parents force a child to dosomething even if they don't like it/or have any interest in doing it. The child then ends up not enjoying whatever he is forced to due. When I shoot my bow most times my son is near by and is always telling me good shot daddy and makes other comments showing he likes what he sees for a 5 year old.

Andrew
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM

I would get a youth recurve for a 5 year old. I personally dont think that is old enough for a compound yet.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Bartender

Now!
Mathews Genesis kit the whole family can shoot.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son is just over 5 and has been shooting a few months now. My Dad bought him a little compound from Sportsmans Warehouse back at Christmas time. It's nice but still too long for him. I think a recurve would have been a better bet. He is very similar in size to your son.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Quick Reply: What age to get son into bow shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.