Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What poundage, 60 or 70? >

What poundage, 60 or 70?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What poundage, 60 or 70?

Old 02-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Spike

Default What poundage, 60 or 70?

I will be buying the new Mathews LX bow as soon as my dealer recieves them. Which bow would shoot the fastest? A 60 lb bow set at it' s max (usually 61 - 63 lb) or a 70lb bow set at the same 63lb. And will it be a noticably difference. The reason I ask is my dealer said a 60lb bow set at it' s max would shoot harder and that I wouldn' t gain much speed by going with a 70 lb bow. I like the idea of having a 70lb bow set at 63 or so pounds with the option of increasing the weight if I want to. Also, once a bow is broken in, how much of that 60lb will I lose. I don' t want to end up shooting a 58 lb bow. Does anyone have any insight into my delima? I currently shoot an old High Country at 78lb with no problems.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What poundage, 60 or 70?

Any bow set at its Highest poundage and longest draw length is set for optimal preformance.
shortening the draw length (which requires the cams to be changed on Matthews bows) will affect speed more than any thing else If you want 60# draw weightI would suggest getting the lighter poundage bow because when you start cranking down the # on a bow you loose peak preformance and yes you will also loose a couple of FPS that is for any bow.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bigpapa usaly a bow will shoot at its best cranked down tight , and 60 lbs is plenty for hunting , besides all the mathews bows I' ve owned will weigh in 2 to 3 pounds heavyer than advertised and if you want more you can put a twist or two in the power cabel and you will be around 65 no problem , not that you need it .
Old 02-27-2003, 08:23 AM

I agree get the 60 # if that' s what you want to shoot regularly! Generally each pound = 2 fps in speed ,in case you wanted to know. Good Luck !!
Old 03-01-2003, 05:55 AM

If you shoot a 400 grain arrow, the 70# will shoot harder vs. the 60#. Keep in mind when you choose an arrow, that the 60# will shoot near the same speed as the 70# when the grains per pound are the same.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:40 PM

I had the same dilema you have last year when I bought my new hoyt. I was told the same thing you were told about a bow being better if it is cranked. I did get the 60 partially because I shoot fingers and have a little arthritis. That and 60 is pleanty for hunting. I do however agree with you 63 pounds is good but, are you going to be more apt to go up or down with you poundage. The other thing to consider is arrows I shoot aluminums and 60 being my max with my draw length 28 to shoot a correct size arrow I' m kinda stuck with lighter thin walled arrows. So in that aspect I kinda wish I would have got the 70 pound Just for the option of shooting a more durable arrow. And being able to go up 1-5 lbs. or even 10. I' d go for he 70.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

When I bought mine two years ago, I got the 70 # Mathews FX but set the draw weight where it was comfortable for me. It is at 67 pounds and with my 462 gr arrow, I' m getting 60 ft-lb KE, it shoots great, is extremely accurate, and more than adequate for anything I' ll be hunting.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do tend to agree with the others about the 60 pounder being a better choice for best efficiency, etc... however I will also state that I regularly buy the 70 lb peak draw weight models and crank them down to 65 lbs to shoot. I do like the option of being able to increase the draw weight easily if necessary and I do not feel that the mid draw weight range setting really impacts the practical application of the bow to a large extent.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah you know I wish they made the bows peak at 65LBS. That' s a pretty easy draw for most of us and with the power of these modern bows it' s all you need.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckfevr,

If you are ordering a bow then most companies will allow you to order a " heavy 60 lber" that will actually peak right at 65 lbs. The only problem is the obvious...you have to order it.

Quick Reply: What poundage, 60 or 70?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.