Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New sight and peep? >

New sight and peep?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New sight and peep?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:06 AM

Default RE: New sight and peep?

ORIGINAL: FlAllyGuy

You can shoot what ever class you want as long as they allow magnification in that class. IMO if you are going to shoot fixed pins withh a lens I would start with the hunter class, especially if you haven't ahot any asa shoots or any other bigger type shoots. That also depends on if you like shooting unknown yardages too. Unlimited is unknown for both rounds. Also if you plan to shoot a one of the big asa shoots you have speed to worry about also. Local shoots dont matter too much. I think that 82nd at 73 lbs might be a bit too fast.
Why would it be too fast? This is probably the fist and last time anyone will ever read "too fast" on an archery forum. Anyway, is there a limit to arrow speed in asa shoots? Why?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Black Stick

You can shoot what ever class you want as long as they allow magnification in that class. IMO if you are going to shoot fixed pins withh a lens I would start with the hunter class, especially if you haven't ahot any asa shoots or any other bigger type shoots. That also depends on if you like shooting unknown yardages too. Unlimited is unknown for both rounds. Also if you plan to shoot a one of the big asa shoots you have speed to worry about also. Local shoots dont matter too much. I think that 82nd at 73 lbs might be a bit too fast.
Why would it be too fast? This is probably the fist and last time anyone will ever read "too fast" on an archery forum. Anyway, is there a limit to arrow speed in asa shoots? Why?
There are speed limits on set-ups for these type of shoots. You shoot your bow through a chrono and if it's not within that limits, then it's time to start tinkering to meet the criteria set forth. In all honesty, an 82nd really isn't a "target" bow to begin with. It's more of a "thrill-seekers" rig. Get into something with an 8" braceheight that is shooting low 300, maybe 310, with a long axle-to-axle, and then you've got yourself a "target bow." Be that a Hoyt Pro38, Matthews Conquest, or whatever. Not saying you "CAN'T" shoot it like a target bow, but it's really much more designed to be a hunting bow, less forgiving, more speed.

You're still young (no offense intended, as I can somewhat understand where you are coming from, having been there myself), and there is a great deal that you can and will learn about archery, competitive shooting, etc. Keep asking questions as you will only gain more and more knowledge, which will eventually make you a better archer and hunter. I know in the 4+ yrs. I've been involved in various hunting forums, I've learned a great deal about different equipment and techniques, tuning methods, etc. It's been and enjoyable experience and one that I wish I could have had when I was your age. Then I could have foregone all of the MANY stupid ideas I had and learned from others' experiences, be them good or bad.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 AM

If I had the money to buy a new Hoyt, I would. Actually, I have 2 Hoyts, but they are both more than 20 years old, and if you want to get into long ata, my medalist is 4 feet. The other, I use for bow fishing. I got both of them for free three years ago and they work great. The target bow came with an old sure-lock scope with a 2x lense. I shot a 279 with that setup with only one year of experience and got board with spot targets, even competitions, so I looked into 3D and hunting. You may be surprised to hear that I shot a 282 with my current setup and I think that is great for so little practice. The 82nd is a great bow for 3D, perfect for hunting and ok for the occasional range challenge. I try not to think of 3D as a spot target type competition, rather, it is more of a hunt to me.

There are speed limits on set-ups for these type of shoots. You shoot your bow through a chrono and if it's not within that limits, then it's time to start tinkering to meet the criteria set forth. In all honesty, an 82nd really isn't a "target" bow to begin with. It's more of a "thrill-seekers" rig. Get into something with an 8" braceheight that is shooting low 300, maybe 310, with a long axle-to-axle, and then you've got yourself a "target bow." Be that a Hoyt Pro38, Matthews Conquest, or whatever. Not saying you "CAN'T" shoot it like a target bow, but it's really much more designed to be a hunting bow, less forgiving, more speed.

You're still young (no offense intended, as I can somewhat understand where you are coming from, having been there myself), and there is a great deal that you can and will learn about archery, competitive shooting, etc. Keep asking questions as you will only gain more and more knowledge, which will eventually make you a better archer and hunter. I know in the 4+ yrs. I've been involved in various hunting forums, I've learned a great deal about different equipment and techniques, tuning methods, etc. It's been and enjoyable experience and one that I wish I could have had when I was your age. Then I could have foregone all of the MANY stupid ideas I had and learned from others' experiences, be them good or bad.
When you say 300 and 310, do you mean, that is ideal, or that anything more than that would not be allowed in certain classes? Remember, I am trying to stay in the hunter class because I would not be competitive in the unlimited class yet. Need more practice! Although, I think I could make it in the unlimited class eventually with this setup. What I need to know is if I need to decrease the poundage to meet asa shoot speed limits, if they exist. Please let me know.

By the way, I decided that five pins is not enough for me or my bow, so I got a completely different sight. I opted for the HHA sight in my signature. It's best feature in my opinion is the tool-less adjustment. Plus, I can mark it out as far as I could possibly want to.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM

First, Ithink I might have said this to you on one of the other forums, and Matt did too, you can not shoot that sight in the hunter class or even the unlimited class for that matter. Those are both fixed pin classes. You will have to move to an open class to shoot your bow the way you have it set up right now providing you loose some of the speed. ASA has a speed limit of 280 fps plus 3% which is 288. Your best bet is the young adult male class or the open c class. I would go with the young adult male class because you will be with people your own age unless you like hanging around older guys. Now take this for what it is worth and realize that it is just my opinion. I do agree with OHbowhntr, the 82nd is not a good target bow especially for ASA shoots. You are probably going to have to turn it down and i expect you will have to go with an heavier arrow.

The scores you gave above, I am assuming they are on a 30 target course. Not bad and I dont mean to take anything away from you here but the ASA shoots are a whole different ball game. There are guys shoothing well into the 400s in alot of the classes, Matt being one of them. Don't try to start out too fast too quick and get discouraged.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Sorry blackstick I didn't realize you were 19. You will have to shoot the open c class with the way you have the bow set up.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Open C is a great class. However, it's intended to bea Novice class, but it's far from that. There are some pretty good shooters in that class. It's tough! That's where most open shooters begin their ASA dreams including myself and just work their way up. Which is what I'm doing. Nothing is handed to you in any class, you have to shoot awesome to win. I had a mediocre preformance on the known yardage, and a great unknown yardage round and got 2nd. You have to put two solid rounds together to come away with anything.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 PM

First, I think I might have said this to you on one of the other forums, and Matt did too, you can not shoot that sight in the hunter class or even the unlimited class for that matter. Those are both fixed pin classes. You will have to move to an open class to shoot your bow the way you have it set up right now providing you loose some of the speed. ASA has a speed limit of 280 fps plus 3% which is 288. Your best bet is the young adult male class or the open c class. I would go with the young adult male class because you will be with people your own age unless you like hanging around older guys. Now take this for what it is worth and realize that it is just my opinion. I do agree with OHbowhntr, the 82nd is not a good target bow especially for ASA shoots. You are probably going to have to turn it down and i expect you will have to go with an heavier arrow.

The scores you gave above, I am assuming they are on a 30 target course. Not bad and I dont mean to take anything away from you here but the ASA shoots are a whole different ball game. There are guys shoothing well into the 400s in alot of the classes, Matt being one of them. Don't try to start out too fast too quick and get discouraged.
I appreciate your input, this is simply a reply to your last comment about my scores. Thy are actually for 60 shots at spot targets worth a maximum of five points a shot. 300 is a perfect score. Tough to get. I just wanted to clarify.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

Open C is a great class. However, it's intended to be a Novice class, but it's far from that. There are some pretty good shooters in that class. It's tough! That's where most open shooters begin their ASA dreams including myself and just work their way up. Which is what I'm doing. Nothing is handed to you in any class, you have to shoot awesome to win. I had a mediocre preformance on the known yardage, and a great unknown yardage round and got 2nd. You have to put two solid rounds together to come away with anything.
Great, I would love to do that. How do I start? I only ask because I have no idea how to get into open c. Let me know.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Black Stick

First, I think I might have said this to you on one of the other forums, and Matt did too, you can not shoot that sight in the hunter class or even the unlimited class for that matter. Those are both fixed pin classes. You will have to move to an open class to shoot your bow the way you have it set up right now providing you loose some of the speed. ASA has a speed limit of 280 fps plus 3% which is 288. Your best bet is the young adult male class or the open c class. I would go with the young adult male class because you will be with people your own age unless you like hanging around older guys. Now take this for what it is worth and realize that it is just my opinion. I do agree with OHbowhntr, the 82nd is not a good target bow especially for ASA shoots. You are probably going to have to turn it down and i expect you will have to go with an heavier arrow.

I appreciate your input, this is simply a reply to your last comment about my scores. Thy are actually for 60 shots at spot targets worth a maximum of five points a shot. 300 is a perfect score. Tough to get. I just wanted to clarify.

So you were shooting 280's in a 5spot round?

You might have your work cut out for you
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Again, not to take anything away from you here but I agree with Matt on this one. I am assuming this is indoors. Pretty good for a beginer but outdoor 3-d is a whole different shoot. As far as getting into open c, it's easy. Just sign up for that class. You can either join the asa on line and register there, call and register or wait until you get to the event and register. I believe you can shoot 1 asa shoot a year without joining the asa. Other than that there really isn't much to it.

Quick Reply: New sight and peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.