Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting In

Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Sighting In

Me again! I would have asked this in the other post but wanted to keep them seperate to avoid me getting confused!

I have an old bow, and need to sight it in. I have a whisker biscuit rest, and a Tru Glo 4 pin site. I need advice, step by step at sighting it in. I have the 20 yard pin sighted, the guy at the shop did that, how do I get the others right? My thought was as I am new and dont feel comfortable with a shot past 40 yards, to do the pins like this, 20 yds, 30 yds, 35 yds, and 40 yds. Advice and detailed instructions would be outstanding. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Default RE: Sighting In

Most people in your situation would go 20, 30, 40, and 50. Or just get rid of one pin and run three pins out to 40. After you get real confident you have things centered real well at 20, go out to 30 yards and start adjusting that pin until it is putting them in the center of the 30 yard target. I don't know how fast your bow is sending arrows downrange; but here are some close approximations for pin spacing at 250 fps:

20 yards -0-
30 yards -.170
40 yards -.330
50 yards -.570

That should at least get you on the target.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I wouldnt mind going to 50, but at the same time, I dont want to shoot past what my ability is to hit the target I am shooting at. But I may go ahead and do that, I was also worried about drop (mostly out of not knowing) of the arrow over distance, and I need to get out the scale and see how many grains I am pushing.

I am confident I am centered, it is the left to right I am worried about getting zeroed in on.

Joe
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sekoutdoors

I wouldnt mind going to 50, but at the same time, I dont want to shoot past what my ability is to hit the target I am shooting at. But I may go ahead and do that, I was also worried about drop (mostly out of not knowing) of the arrow over distance, and I need to get out the scale and see how many grains I am pushing.

I am confident I am centered, it is the left to right I am worried about getting zeroed in on.

Joe
If you are confident you are centered, do a walkback with your 20yd pin to 25, 30, 35, and 40 yds and see if they all fall in a STRAIGHT LINE like this "|" If they look like this " / " or this " \ ", then you aren't centered as well as you think. Do a search on Walk-Back tuning, it will help a little. Just because you have a 20yd pin centered, doesn't necessarily mean every thing is centered. Also, if you're shooting a WB, if you don't have Blazers, you'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor to get some arrow fletched up with Blazers as they will go through the Biscuit better than about anything else and should give you more consistent shooting. Hope some of this makes sense and helps. You could also read TFOX's "Dont Stop at Walk-Back" thread above, it has some good info in it as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

This is how I pre-sight-in on mine. I shoot the first pin at 5 yrds. I get it center and about 1" - 1.5" high. Shoot 10 - 15 yrds to see where it hits. For mine, I put pin #1 at 25 yrds (in your case, 20 yrds). Now I repeat the above step at 25 yrds for pin #2. I then shoot 35 yrds to sight pin #2 in. I have 4 pins, but only sight in two pins. I don't shoot past 40 yards for hunting. My reason for pre-shooting high is so that I don't miss the target.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you need to remember when sighting in is follow the arrows! Meaning if you shoot high bring your pin up, If you shoot low lower you pin same with right/left.