Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Just What Does 10 FPS Really Mean? >

Just What Does 10 FPS Really Mean?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just What Does 10 FPS Really Mean?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Just What Does 10 FPS Really Mean?

For you guys out there with OT2 . . . . a buddy of mine shoots arrows about 30 grains lighter than mine. My Easton Axis arrows have got to be about 10 fps slower than his Gold Tips. If we are both sighted in at 20 yards, and shooting the same exact bow - just what sort of trajectory advantage does 270 fps have over 260 fps - out to 70 yards? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just What Does 10 FPS Really Mean?

At 20 yards nothing but at 70 your arrows will probably hit a little higher
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Just for a laugh I'm gonna say FPS = Frames Per Second or First person Shooter Games...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure there's an equation for it. I'm thinking things will get compounded at that distance and the drop will be significant.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

This site has a great calculator to figure that out. Put in your specs and see what you come up with. I'm curious as to what you come up with.

http://home.att.net/%7Esajackson/ballistics.html
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

10fps? Nothing.

310fps vs. 320fps, I could care less.

I think 30fps is the point at which I would start to care.

And if I wanted more fps, I'd just draw a higher weight to get those 10-30fps.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speed gives you flatter trajectory which may not mean much unless you are trying to slip an arrow through some cover. Extra speed could mean you just don't hit that overhanging branch out of your line of sight.

Dan
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the other hand,if they shoot flat they can't drop the arrow where it needs to be also--they will shoot over.Obviously on close shots nobody is shooting a bow where they notice much drop but say at 45 yards you have your intended target but there's a small bush in the way---guys shooting slower bows,can drop that shot right in there,and i think it happens more than people think(not everyone out there is shooting at a wide-open target)
Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks. That's a great little program. 10 FPS sure doesn't mean much out to 50 yards. Although the program indicates 5" more drop, it reflects the actual trajectory of the arrow from the moment it leaves the string. When you sight both arrows in at 20 yards, the difference in drop relative to the 20 yard pin zero is only 2.5" more at 50 yards for the slower arrow. At 60 yards, the relative drop difference is about 6". Enough to create some issues with antelope. And at 70 yards, it is almost 8". Of course, no responsible archer would shoot at any of these distances without the use of a rangefinder anyway.

I'm going to stick with the 30 grain heavier arrows. They hit harder and are quieter.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

At 60 yards, the relative drop difference is about 6". Enough to create some issues with antelope. And at 70 yards, it is almost 8". Of course, no responsible archer would shoot at any of these distances without the use of a rangefinder anyway.
Obviously, you're kidding!!! Right?!?!?!? I agree, but there are a LOAD of guys that THINK they are "responsible archers" that would fling an arrow at such distances without a seconds hesitation. Visit AT.com, and you can find a BUNCH of them!!!!

I agree though, a "RESPONSIBLE" archer wouldn't fling an arrow at such distances without knowing precisely, what they needed to be aiming for. The difference between 65 and 68yds is a CLEAN MISS, at those initial velocities on antelope or whitetail/smaller muley sized game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.