Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grip Styles

Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Grip Styles

High, med. and low grip other than personal preference is there any accuracy difference between them? This would be for 3-D.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Grip Styles

So, no grip experts out there?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about 'expert', but I know what I like and don't like. I like high wrist. I always shot better with high wrist than with medium, and shot loads better with medium than I ever could with low wrist. I always have a tendency to heel the grip too much with low wrist, making for high/low misses. High wrist is a LOT more stable for me, and a lot less prone to torque. I'm sure the next guy will likely say exactly the opposite.[8D]
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

WRONG, Arthur P

I'm another High Wrist guy. It just feels better.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys mean by a high or low grip?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I'm sure the next guy will likely say exactly the opposite.[8D]
well i am not the next guy but unless my high wrist isnt right i like a medium, lowish grip, but not to low. and with the high wrist i didnt feel as stable

Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like no grip...lol

Not really sure what you would call my preference. I think I'm a low wrister, I know I dislike a high wrist.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 PM

Its funny this post came up I just tried high wrist for the first time tonight. I didn't feel very stable and it hurt my wrist, but I think over time I could get used to it. My arrows werehitting pretty consistently, but I was inside an old farrowing house so my shots were limited to about 15 yards. I'm definantly going to give it another try sometime at some longer distances. I think I'll stick with med. for now because I don't want to change anything during turkey season, but I may switch before deer season. I seem to always have to change something on my bow or tinker with my form once I'm deadly with it. I would atleast try all the different styles and see what you like the best.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of an interesting read:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/grip/index.htm
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting but, with all due respect to Dr. Timney, it's not altogether correct. Low wrist could be more repeatable for him and maybe for a lot of folks. On the other hand, I know at least one person who knows high wrist is more repeatable for him (me!). I'd bet serious money that medium wrist is more repeatable for others.

What I'm saying is that wrist position is NOT a one-size-fits-all thing. Different people have somewhat different muscle/bone structures, different physical histories (like injuries and such). Don't just believe everything you see some expert put in writing. It might work best for HIM, but you ain't him. Try different styles and see what works best for the way YOU are put together.

Quick Reply: Grip Styles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.