Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Press

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bow Press

Well I am buyin a bow press and making a drawing board.

Because I am not a shop and like to dave some cash, what do you guys think of this press

http://www.prototechind.com/

Any negatives? I know it does not put any pressure on the riser and that is good, but has anyone used it? What do you think?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Press

I've never used it before, but I would guess that trying to compress even 60 lb limbs would be very hard with that little screw mechanism. There is almost no leverage there and it could really give your hand a beating. Not sure, but thats what it looks like to me. If you don't think you will be using it very often, it may work for the occasional job.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 AM

I've got a better idea for ya Germ. Look into getting a limbbender. Bowtech dave took over making these for WWAG and its an awesome press. Heres the link. I did a mini-how to as well. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2391841&mpage=1&key=press?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Forgot to mention. The other day I broken my entire bow down to grease the limb pockets. Anyway, I had my bow on my bench mounted press and had the cams, string, and cablesoff and went to let my bow down and itdidn't have enough travel for limbs to completely relax. I had to press it again and reinstall everything. I switched to this press. No problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like it, just sent dave an Email
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some more thoughts on that particular press... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2347251&mpage=1&key=bowmender&am p;#2347251
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM

I think you'll love it. Definitely a great press for the money.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a bowmaster as my only press at home for nearly 4 years now. It works flawlessly and folds up small enough to fit into your back pocket. I keep it in the archery tool box that is in my car at all times for hunting trips/3d shoots. For $40 it can't be beat IMHO.

I'm likely going to upgrade to a gritty press sold on AT when I start building the shop out in my basement. But I think a combination of the Bowmaster for everything while on the road and a full size press for everything at home is perfect right now.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM

I MADE ONE LAST MONTH. USED IT ON MY ELITE NO PROBLEMS, BUT THE STS GETS IN THE WAY. HAVE TO BUY ADDITIONAL PARTS IF YOU WANT TO USE IT ON A SPLIT LIMB BOW. I ASKED ABOUT THIS PRESS MY SELF THE OTHER DAY AND DIDN'T GET A REPLY......THEY MUST LIKE YOU MORE. I DID EMAIL THE COMPANY AND THEY TOOK FOREVER WRITING BACK, WITH AN NON INFORMATIVE REPLY.....
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

I've never used it before, but I would guess that trying to compress even 60 lb limbs would be very hard with that little screw mechanism. There is almost no leverage there and it could really give your hand a beating. Not sure, but thats what it looks like to me. If you don't think you will be using it very often, it may work for the occasional job.
Most of the time I take 5 turns out of the limbbolts to press my bows, but occasionallyhave left them at 70 lbs and have had no problems with the bowmaster. You can do it by hand but the better way is to use a 5/8" socket on the bolt, works like a charm.

My hydraulic jack was fouled up the other day so I put my bow in the bench press just to hold it, then used the bow master to press it.

Quick Reply: Bow Press

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.