Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ? on New Bowtech General F.P.S. >

? on New Bowtech General F.P.S.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? on New Bowtech General F.P.S.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? on New Bowtech General F.P.S.

Ok here's my situation. I'm a small guy, 5'8" with a short 26-26.5" draw. My present bow is 6yrs old, and the Company is no longer in existence. I love my bow, but its wearing out. Can't replace any parts. Plus its lost alot speed over the yrs. I'm heading to Colorado this Sept. trying to draw a muzzleloader tag, but only a 50% chance, and if I don't. It'll be archery. Bascially I'm planning on going archery. So I'm in the market for a new hunting bow. I shoot some 3d's for self enjoyment, no competition. Hunter class, with my same hunting setup.
I've read nothing but good on the new General, and been making alot of online comparisons. Of course I'll shoot several before I decide on the one for me.
My question is, Would any of you guys have a idea of what kind of speeds to expect from a General w/ the 26.5" draw, 60-65lbs, and a 400plus gr arrow? I'm sure it'll be a large upgrade from my present setup. I topped out when new at 230fps! Man that sounds so slow nowadays. But 6yrs ago, wasn't bad for my setup. I'm not expecting 300fps, but in high 2's would be nice!
Opps me Bad,I meant to put this under "Technical"
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ? on New Bowtech General F.P.S.

Those specs at 60 pounds would yield mid 240's,65 pounds would yield mid 250's and 70 pounds would yield mid 260's thru the chrono.

These are "aprox." numbers.....
Old 04-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Scott is spot on in his figures on the General. If I were shooting the specs you are talking about (26" to 26.5" draw length) I'd buy an Equalizer in a heartbeat. The Equalizer is one Bad Bow for shorter draw lengths.

I'd at least try to get my hands on one and shoot it!

Dan
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM

The General is a great bow but if you're that concerned with speed then I agree with MeanV and get the Equalizer although it won't make much of a difference. Lighten your arrow, get a MeanV string surpressor and take off the vibration dampners on your string because you won't need them. 250ish is plenty fast but you can get 280ish if you did those things that I mentioned.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your worried about speed the general is not for you man. its no lightning fast bow by any means. i own one i know. with my 29.5"dl and 70# setup with a 500 (total)gr. arrow it shot 275. im shooting a 400 grain setup now for 3d and am expecting 285-290. but why worry about speed that much. bows are so quiet and precise nowadays speed is not a necessity.
if you really want to make up for something with speed though, get an xforce/dream season. they are nice bows and are ridiculously fast in almost all setups. it will fulfil your need for speed and be consistent and quiet (enough) to hunt and use recreationally.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

if your worried about speed the general is not for you man. its no lightning fast bow by any means. i own one i know. with my 29.5"dl and 70# setup with a 500 (total)gr. arrow it shot 275. im shooting a 400 grain setup now for 3d and am expecting 285-290. but why worry about speed that much. bows are so quiet and precise nowadays speed is not a necessity.
if you really want to make up for something with speed though, get an xforce/dream season. they are nice bows and are ridiculously fast in almost all setups. it will fulfil your need for speed and be consistent and quiet (enough) to hunt and use recreationally.
LOL, I seen a guy miss two bucks three times with that bow, so yeah, speed is no necessity at all. So what in the heck would be wrong with 280 fps?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasnt saying 280fps was slow by any means. 250 is fine for hunting. if you shoot 280 i think that is plenty fast. oh and btw threadstarter, look at the 82nd too. they are smokin fast as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about speed. Just more curious what I'd be looking at with the General. But obvious the more speed the better.Being at my size limits I always look for as quiet as possible first. I was also thinking with the General, Guardian, etc design. Would seem thelimbs would hold up better over a length of time compared to alot I've been looking at. I really like how the whole limb bends equally, over some the bowslimbs that bend so extreme in 1 spot. Every bow I've owned looses alot in just a couple yrs.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

BuckAlley, I really like both the Guardian and General. The Allegiance has been my go to bow for the last few years, but the super smooth, super quiet, and super consistent shot of the Guardian won it a starting position in my rotation. I had 3 kills with it last season. Either bow is a great choice, but I prefer the additional A to A the Guardian gives me. Good Luck with your choice whatever it is.

Dan
Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

I wasnt saying 280fps was slow by any means. 250 is fine for hunting. if you shoot 280 i think that is plenty fast. oh and btw threadstarter, look at the 82nd too. they are smokin fast as well.
I'm sorry drockw, I was a little sleep deprivated. To the OGP I would have to agree with the Guardian if you don't mind the extra couple of inches in A to A legnth. Personally, I would go with the General because I like the shorter A to A bows for hunting. I'm 5"9' and 180 pounds though, not a big guy. 33 3/4'' isn't really all that bad either though I guess. And I think you are only losing what, 10fps with the General vs. the Guardian?

Quick Reply: ? on New Bowtech General F.P.S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.