Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 follow through?? *** new video*** >

follow through?? *** new video***

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

follow through?? *** new video***

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Default follow through?? *** new video***

how is my follow through? click the link for the video.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/millerhunter13/?action=view&current=000_0040.flv
Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Default RE: follow through??

Well, it looks good; but also looks like it is happening somewhat after the fact. Are you keeping the pin on the target as the arrow is flying through the air? If you do thatwhile keeping an open grip, things will go well.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4w10o7dPw

You should concentrate on your release follow through and not your bow hand follow through, when you learn to pull through correctly, the bow arm will then have its own follow through and you will never have to worry about dropping your arm. You can tell when someone is commanding a trigger when their release stays in the same spot after the shot. Watchthe relase arms in this video to get an idea. Listen to what Eric says about practice, real practice is on one thing at a time with no target to look for results at, best bet look at what he's doing, shootingclose to an empty bale, eyes closed and feel the shots.
Keep up the good work!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM

^ ok i see what your saying, but how does that effect the follow through? And there using different releases dosnt that make it different?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Great video, agree 100 percent with everything he said.

Follow through isn't really letting the bow roll out of your hand after the shot. As you could see he didn't' do that, and I don't do it either. Follow through is letting the bow do what it wants until the shot is over. You need to keep aiming right through the shot. If you do this you can normally see your arrow go all the way to the target every time. Guys that drop their arm to see where the arrow hits have probably never executed a really good shot before because if you do you can see it hit the target anyway. I can actually do the same thing with a 22 rifle, especially with subsonic ammo.

Do what this guys says, practice different parts of your shot sequence until you don't need to think about them anymore. After a while the shot just sort of happens, all you do is concentrate on aiming and your subconscious takes over. A good analogy is if I were to tell you to go over to a table and pick up a pencil. When you did it did you think about every step you took to get there and planned how you would move your arm to the table and grasp the pencil? No you didn't, you looked at the pencil walked over and picked it up without thinking about it. But only because you have had years of practice doing it. When you were little you did have to think of every step you took because you didn't know what you were doing yet.

The main thing to remember is staying relaxed through out the whole shot sequence.

Paul
Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Miller it doesn't matter what release you use -fingers,hinge, trigger, caliper (like yours) its how you use it. IMO the release is the single biggest factor in archery, long before tuning or anything else.
Look up Michael Braden, he shootsa caliper.
The way it affects follow through is you are not thinking about it or anything else for that matter, your total concentration is on the spot only, not your pin, not your follow through nothing, except that spot. Your follow through will just happen. it could be the bow going forward slightlywith no tipping or it could be pushed to the side slightly or any other way, just don't try to controll it.at the shot itcould evenbe somewhat exsplosive depending on the method you end up using to have the release trigger example; push-pull or pull.
Look up Larry Wise or George Ryals online for some good reading or even Bernie Pellirite.

A way ofexplaining the follow through would be if you were toto stand in front of your target, eyes closedand go through your shot process to full drawbut only draw with your wrist, no hand on your release and if someone were to touch off your trigger without you knowing, your release arm would have follow through. with time and practice it would be less but you would "FEEL" what it feels like

a good release to look at would be the Carter line http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/backstrap.htm
the evolution , back strap, revolution. if you can try one of these out you will have a better idea of what pulling through your shot and follow throughfeels like.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 AM

ok i see what ur sayin now.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM

Default RE: follow through?? *** new video***

here is another video, tell me what i need to work on. i am not sure if i doing what you guys were trying to tell me.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/millerhunter13/?action=view&current=100_0169.flv
Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM

bump
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although I agree with backtension that the style release doesn't matter,it isn't as easy to use awrist release with bt for some as it is for others,PLUS,untill you have experienced a true bt release,it is real hard for some to know what it is supposed to feel like.

Not knowing what a tru bt shot is supposed to be is probably why so many struggle with a true bt release,they really aren't executing a true bt shot with the other style releases,if they were,the switch shouldn't be that hard,but it is for most.

I have been shooting a true bt all year and had no issues with getting trapped under the spot(target panick) but today I was using mywrist releaseand I was getting stuck again.

Quick Reply: follow through?? *** new video***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.