Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 " Punching"  my release... >

" Punching" my release...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

" Punching" my release...

Old 02-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Default RE: " Punching" my release...

I Know that i punch my release, but i hit with every arrow the vital zone of a deer at 35 yards. So I think if you shoot well with punching the release, why change it ?
Hua? I think I met my first archery under achiever. Dont get me wrong that is good but the vital zone on a deer is huge. I assume we are talking 3D here, where shooting in an 11 ring is the goal. This requires that you be smooth.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2003, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ric, I am assuming you are a hunter, and not just a target shooter. I' d have to say that you are taking the wrong attitude on this matter. Hitting the vital zone is a good thing, don' t get me wrong. But, remember that you are shooting at a non-living stationary target. An animal will not be stationary. So if you are shooting a 3" group at 30 yards (which is considered about average), then you will have some latitude in the animal moving. Always strive to be the best shooter you can be and when you are shooting 3" goups at 30 yards, then go for 2 1/2" , then 2" .
Old 02-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blind bail shooting is a method of practice that is recommended by most (if not " all" ) archery coaches. Even at the Olympic leval, blind bail shooting is the prefered method of practice for an individual to develope proper form and a clean release.

You simply stand approximately 6 feet from your target and shoot with your eyes closed. When you do this, make a mental check list of all that you are doing.

Like... (This is my mental list.)

1) * Stand up tall... (good posture)
2)* Align feet to target...
3)*Proper hand placement on grip...
4)*Draw string to exact anchor point on face...
5)*Position your elbow in proper relation to the string.

**With your eyes closed... feel your stance and posture. You will notice small variations in your stance and posture with your eyes closed.

6)* Release the arrow and feel how your bow arm, release hand, and body posture react to the release.
7)*allow proper follow through and hold this stance for an additional 3 or 4 seconds, all the while concentrating on how the shot felt. And of course... this is all done with your eyes closed.

This is the single best form of practice you could do to ensure good release and form. Typically, I will shoot with my eyes closed for 10 arrows before I begin my formal practice. (Provided that my formal pracice for that day is not soley blind bail shooting.) And then I will end my practice with ten additional arrows.

[8D]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ric, we are kind of getting off topic here, you can e-mail me if you' d like to continue the conversation.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: " Punching" my release...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.