Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow help..someone wanna do a favor?? >

arrow help..someone wanna do a favor??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow help..someone wanna do a favor??

Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default arrow help..someone wanna do a favor??

so i been thinking about my tuning issues i had last season....and thinking about this years setup and wanting to get the bow good n tuned this spring so its done and ready to roll incase i go out of state for the summer to work....

i remember the guy at the shop saying my arrows may been stiff because CX shafts usually run stiff..said if i maxed out my limbs id be good though...still got a stiff shaft tear in the paper, and not matter what i did i couldnt bring my BH and FP groups together or ever get the bow fine tuned...i trusted the guy and never checked...

im shootin a 06 Reflex Highlander. 305fps IBO, 7.625" brace, 36" ATA, 28" draw, at 65lbs..

arrows at Carbon Express XP selects in 6075 cut to 28" with 3 blazers on an offset. right now im shooting 125gr tips, regular nocks and inserts.

i tried running it myself in OT2, but i dont know if im doing it right...figured id see if someone would check for me....says i need to be shooting 225gr tips for my spine to be pretty good...200 to be sliiiiightly stiff...anyone wanna check real quick?? going to be ordering another half or full dozen shafts, and broadheads for next year...i want to goto a higher FOC and heavier tip anyways, so its really no big deal, actually HAPPY with what i see...just wanna make sure im RIGHT before i order everything. i want to build some GOOD flying arrows...just dont wanna dump money into heads and points and inserts etc if my spine isnt right for it....but based on what i see from OT2 and my tuning issues, i think i might be way too stiff as it is...

thanx guys...let me know what you think...if thats the case, im going to have alot of options...will try some different inserts and heads and come up with a sweet flying arrow that got some punch behind it...blow through the deer and the tree behind it kinda punch lol...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow help..someone wanna do a favor??

I showed that going that heavy up front made you a little weak but I also showed a 7.25 brace so my recomendation is to calibrate the program with a good chrony reading and arrow weight and go from there.Never just trust what the program spits out,get it calibrated to you before making any purchases.

Note,my normal program no longer works on my computer and I just purchased OT2 last week.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Mauser , I ran your setup through OT2 but came up with different numbers. On the shafts you mentioned the only one I could find was the Terminator XP Select. Is this the right arrow. Anyway on running them since you are using them as a hunting arrow, on the Spine tab , did you put a checkmark beside the hunting checkbox, this will change how OT sets the spine range. I came up with using 150 grain points put you almost directly in the middle of the green zone and with very good FOC also. Here is a pic of the numbers that it showed for me.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pretty much mirror what archer 2 came up with.

I wish I could get my computer to paste the screen like that.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

delete
Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....those are the arrows i shot, sorry i always forget they are terminator XP selects...

i cant figure out whats different from my numbers and yours...i see you have 28.5" arrows...that brings me a bit closer to the green at 150gr but im still showing a bit stiff at 150.

opppps i see it now...shows perfect at 150 when i checked hunting....just remembered i read that, but never did it.

hmmm so whats the difference in the 2 modes??? spine plays more importance with a 3blade fixed head than it does with a fieldpoint....

i ran the weights of my old arrows and the XP selects and they match the chrono prettttty close...

my broadheads and fieldpoints werent TERRIBLY off...within a couple of inches actually...think that 25grs will make the difference in my tuning issues?? i know it isnt critical for BHs and FPs to hit together, but they did with my old arrow setup before i went to these new arrows...just makes life easy for me and saves my targets, though i still shoot BHs alot either way..