Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Brace Height

Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Brace Height

Can anyone give me some advice on Brace Height?
How critical is the brace height say....a bow that has a 7 inch BH that one that has a 7 3/4 bh
Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brace Height

First of all welcome to the Forum!

Well for what I know about brace height the longer a bows brace height the more forgiving the bow is. the thought behind this is that the arrow is on the string for less time because the distance from the pivot point of your riser to the string at full rest is longer and thus a bow that releases an arrow off the string will be less likely to have adverse affects if the archer has bad form or hand torque. The down side to a longer brace height is that speed can be lost because the bow does not have as much of a "power stroke" meaning that the arrow is on the string for less time and thus cannot create as much energy as a shorter brace height bow.

I personally shoot a bow that has a really short brace height (6") and to be honest I would probably go with a little longer brace height of at least 7" because I am not as good of a shotwith this new bow. However, I have been really wanting more speed out of a bow and being a short guy (5'3") I needed every advantage I could get. Thus I went with a shorter brace height. I hope that the longer I shoot his bow the better i will get andwill be able to enjoy it more.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2 Good explanation. I prefer a shorter brace height 7" and I feel im more accurate than my old bow of 8"
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO a hunting bow should have at least a 7" brace height. If you can have a bow with more then all the better. The only down side is that the power stoke is shorter and some speed is sacraficed for shootability.

All other things being equal..... as the brace height gets longer or shorter the bows power stroke gets longer or shorter in exact proportion to the brace height. Example...Bow "A" with a30" draw lengthand a 7" brace height will have a power stroke of 21.25 inches.Bow "B" with a 30" draw lengthbut with an 8" brace height will have a power stroke of 20.25 inches. Bow "B" will also be about 10 fps slower but more shootable.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

It really depends on the shooter and their level of shooting. I think Draw length also plays into it. I think most are better off with a 7" BH.

Dan
Old 03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the amount of the arrow that's not effected by the shooter during the shot because it not connected to the string anymore, supposedly.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys for the info on the BH.
Got another question....well maybe I am just looking for opinions here.
I am looking at a new bow. So far I have kinda narrowd my choices down to a Diamond Black Ice , or PSE Dream season.
Any thoughts or advice be it pro or con from anyone on either of these
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wbrown558

Thanks guys for the info on the BH.
Got another question....well maybe I am just looking for opinions here.
I am looking at a new bow. So far I have kinda narrowd my choices down to a Diamond Black Ice , or PSE Dream season.
Any thoughts or advice be it pro or con from anyone on either of these
If you have it narrowed down to 2 you have done really well. I can hardly do that. My best advice is to keep shooting the 2 until you know which one is right for you. I will say I shot a Black Ice a lot last year, including Turkey Season, and it is really a nice Bow.

Dan
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are the pros and cons of these bows as you see it?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 AM

Guys once again thanks for your help and advice.
I did go out yesterday and shoot the Dream Season the New Mathews and the Black Ice.
The Black Ice won out!
They are all great bows and right now I use an older Mathews and it has always been a good bow and never had any problems with it which made it a hard decision also to switch.
I am heading back to the bow shop to get it on order today they only had the standard camo pattern in stock and I opted for the max 4 pattern which of course is a special order.
I do have another question?
I am toying with the idea of customizing the string with the VTX.
My qusetion is.....Is there that much of an advantage of going with the VTX , and how well does it hold up compared to the string that comes with the bow?

Quick Reply: Brace Height

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.