Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Dry Firing... what happens >

Dry Firing... what happens

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dry Firing... what happens

Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Dry Firing... what happens

ok, let me explain myself.

I know you shouldn't do it.

BUT, I live in Costa Rica, and ordered a new Bow (Diamond Rapture) from huntersfriend.com.

I sent it to my brother's home, in OR.

The bow arrived today, and I told him that if he wanted to open it and check everything before sending it to me, it was ok.

I ALSO told him, to NOT DRY FIRE.

He draw the bow, and when trying to release it smoothly, he couldn;t (or wasn't prepared), and the bow dry fired.

The stabilizer BROKE (still no pictures).

He called me and asked me what to do. The guys at hunterfriend, are sending me a new stabilizer, and as soon as I get it, my brother will drive to Eugene, OR, where Bowtech is located, to check if it's ok (he called, and they told him to leave it there, just in case)

What can happen? Is the bow useless?

Any ideas?

I'm so worried, I know it's not a premium bow, but it's my first compound, and didn't even have the chance to hold it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dry Firing... what happens

Don't worry, it will do no good. Check it over and fix what ever needs fixing.

Broke the stabilizer. I'd say that's a pretty important piece on that bow and never shoot it without one.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Hey, mistakes happen. I bought a Mathews legacy that was dry fired three times. We checked it over to make sure there was no damage, and it shoots just fine (killed two deer with it this year). Just check your limbs very well, if their good, you should be too. If all that broke was the stabilizer, be thankful.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM

^ i am glad to hear this my bow was dry fired by a friend (i know dont let anyone touch a bow who hasnt been around one before) and the cable is warped, the limbs were checked, and they were ok so i guess its just the cable hopefully[8D]
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I think I read on another post that bow tech dry fires all there bows to test the durability, I dont know for sure though.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm still confused.

I'm waiting for pictures, but what's bothering me is that he told me over the phone that the stabilizer "exploded".

That means, it was quite a hit... all the energy was kept inside the bow... AND, reached te stabilizer, which couldn't handle te energy.

OR, maybe, the stabilizer absorbed all the energy, exploded and sacrificed itself... and the bow has no damage.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man sorry to hear that... it could be fine... I know hoyt dry fires there bows thats what I HEARD.... up to 500 times on some of there test bows. Who really knows though?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM

First order of business is going to be to kick your brother square in the nuts when you get there. The bow should be fine. The most common thing I see is damage to the cam if/when the cable or string jumps off of it. Exploding stabilizer? What the heck kind of stabilizer did you get? I hope you went with something different when you replaced it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

STS for every bow--cheap insurance for things like this.jmho.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I think I read on another post that bow tech dry fires all there bows to test the durability, I dont know for sure though.
Not quite.

I have seen a few bowtechs dry fired, and have yet to see one survive unscathed. Usually it warps the cams, after that it might warp the axles, and if your real unlucky, it might break the string, and if your severely unlucky, might warp the riser, and if you just have no luck at all, you might crack a limb.

Quick Reply: Dry Firing... what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.