Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Dry Firing... what happens >

Dry Firing... what happens

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dry Firing... what happens

Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dry Firing... what happens

I think it depends on the type of bow. I saw a guy dry fire a Hoyt at the archery shop, and it did no damage, but the owner of the shop showed be two Mathews bows that he was repairing from a single dry fire. The cams on those were annhialated. So I think it varies from model to model. If it has any other problems than the stabalizer, I have to believe it will be obvious after a shot or two.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 16 year old son accidently dry fired my Reflex so he says, of course when I was not around, it survived, it just popped the string off.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most mfgs dry fire thier bows quite often before they are even shipped to dealers. this tests the duarbility of the lims, cams, strings, etc. Check the limbs and cams before attempting to shoot, i recomend taking the bow to a pro-shop to have this done.

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I think I read on another post that bow tech dry fires all there bows to test the durability, I dont know for sure though.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Most mfgs dry fire thier bows quite often before they are even shipped to dealers. this tests the duarbility of the lims, cams, strings, etc.
Who?? Besides Hoyts new thing. Who does this? And where did you hear this?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Most mfgs dry fire thier bows quite often before they are even shipped to dealers. this tests the duarbility of the lims, cams, strings, etc. Check the limbs and cams before attempting to shoot, i recomend taking the bow to a pro-shop to have this done.

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I think I read on another post that bow tech dry fires all there bows to test the durability, I dont know for sure though.
Let's be real clear about this; THEY ARE NOT DRY FIRING BOWS THAT ARE GOING ON THE MARKET. They are dry firing prototypes and test bows in a lab under safety controlled conditions. The bow you buy at the shop has never been dry fired by the manufacturer! (and it better damn sure never have been dry fired at the shop either.) That's like saying that GM crash tests all their cars to test them for durability...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Host of Hosts

If the stabilizer exploded then I'd imagine there's more things wrong with it too. Unless he doesn't know what the stabilizer is and he's talking about the cable slide. I just don't see how the stabilzer could explode. Get it checked by a pro.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 AM

That really sucks, yeah i think i would kick the crap out of my brother for dry firing when i told him to "check it out". Huntersfriend sets up the bow ready to shoot but that may not be the case now. As far as shooting without a stab thats not a problem at all unlike what someone else here has said. You really wont know the extent of the damage until you shoot the bow or get it checked out by an experienced tech.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

does your brother know what a stabilizer is??? i just cant see how one would explode...

only thing i can think of is possibly the cabel slide breaking?? really have no idea...i guess some stabilizers might beable to blow up...maybe...but i dont know...

any new news on the bow??? pics??? like the others depends, sometimes they are fine...sometimes they are ruined...
Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately he didn't take pictures of the stabilizer... He live in Corvallis,OR, so he only has to drive about 1hour to Bowtech themselves.

I don't know when he's going there, but I'll post info as soon as possible.

I have picturesof the bow without the stab?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I had the same question re. the busted stablizer. Even if the bow was dropped, I doubt if the stab would bust. That's a real headscratcher.

Re. dry fires, I've been pre-occupied/absent-minded enough to do it four times in the last decade: twice on a 50# Hoyt Accutec, once on a 60# Darton Cyclone LD, and once on a 55# Mathews Feathermax. None were the worse for wear, but maybe I was just lucky, so you should still get the bow checked out (and make your bro pay for it!).

I still have the Hoyt (with at least 10,000 additional shots on it) and the Darton (with at least 4,000 additional shots).

Quick Reply: Dry Firing... what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.