Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning Question?? >

Tuning Question??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning Question??

Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Default Tuning Question??

If Im getting a perfect bullet hole in the paper, can I assume that my fletchings are not hitting anything as the string is released??
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning Question??

That is what I would assume. Have you done any bare shaft, walk back or group tuning?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM

I have not Bruce, I shot it with the new QAD Hunter rest and after about 8 shots I had shooting Bullet holes, so I didn't do anythin g else,. I have since changed to 2" blazers. I asked the guy at the shop if we should paper tune it again, he said it should be fine without doing it again. I removed the containment bar from the top of the rest to eliminate any interference with contact.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

how did you remove the bar from the rest - just curious
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

You could assume that, but you might be assuming wrong. It would depend on how far away the paper is and what type of fletching you use. There is a slim chance you could have fletching contact and still paper tune well. The only way to really know is to put something on the fletchings, or the rest to see if they have contact issues with each other. Or if you shoot enough you will see marks on your fletchings or rest, especially if you are using vanes.

You are most likely good to go though.

Paul
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you had 4" vanes then you didn't really adjust the weight in the back of the arrow much so you probably don't need to paper tune again. I just use paper tuning to get me pretty close, I have even skipped it,and then I go to bareshaft tuning. After bareshafting you can check with walk back and group tuning.

If you are only going to do one type of tuning, paper tuning is as good as any I suppose.

I don't know that all of those tuning steps are absolutely necessary but I do them because I like to shoot.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey Paul, what can I put on my vanes to check? Also, should have to shoot through paper since I have changed to Blazers??
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Hey Paul, what can I put on my vanes to check? Also, should have to shoot through paper since I have changed to Blazers??
Flour/baking powder/powder sugar, lipstick, etc I would think would work well.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Most use spray on foot powder or lipstick. Anytime you change ANYTHING on your set up you should recheck the tuning on it. Mostly it just gives you an excuse to shoot more.

Paul
Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM

It might just mean that you are perfectly out of tune to compensate for the fletch contact at that distance. You've put the cart before the horse. Be sure there is no fletch contact, then commence tuning.

Quick Reply: Tuning Question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.