Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D? >

One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D?

Old 02-13-2003, 04:39 PM

Default One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D?

I' m just now getting back into archery after eons without shooting and am trying to get one setup going for hunting, indoor spots, and possibly eventually 3D, too. The one that matters most to me is hunting. The other two will be to make me better for hunting. That said, I' m looking for a release to use with my Legacy with a string loop. Here' s what I want in the release.

First and foremost, I want a light, smooth trigger. I' m accustomed to benchrest triggers as light as 2 ounces so adjusting down to a few ounces would be best (no, I don' t hunt with my benchrest guns). I want the trigger to have a little pretravel as possible and zero overtravel. The only releases I have used so far are wrist strap models, and I like them very well so that' s probably what I' m going with for now unless there' s a very big reason not to. I want it to be adjustable for length, as I tend to like my release shorter than most come from the factory. I want a rest that swings back out of the way so it' s not banging all over everything when I' m trying to do other things. Being able to " lock" back out of the way somehow would be best, but not absolutely necessary. I want it to have a buckle instead of velcro. I would like for it to be some variation of camo if possible, but that' s not a big priority for me as long as it' s not shiny.

The three models I' m considering now are the Scott Mongoose (or Little Goose, have to try both to see), the Trufire Hurricane H.O.T. (new one this year), and the Truball Loopmaster Tornado Buckle. Anyone got any opinions on the weak points and strong points on these? Anyone got a better suggestion? The shops around me don' t seem to have a big selection that I can try out, so I' m having to try my best to talk to other archers and see what they have and how well they work.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Jason

Old 02-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D?

First off, bows are not bench rest rifles. Even though the release has a trigger it is not triggered off the same way with a bow as it is with a rifle. You don' t want a light trigger to pull the same way you pull a rifle trigger. It will lead to punching and all kinds of other nasty habits that will ruin your accuracy.

Set the release up so that it' s in the middle knuckle of your finger, hook the finger over the release and learn to pull the finger thru the trigger by using your back muscles to push your elbow back.

The Scott Mongoose is popular. I rarely shoot release any more, but I' ve used the Little Goose a lot and really like it for string loops. The Scott Rhino is designed especially for loops.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, I have both the Scott and the Truball you mention. You should be happy with either one.
If " zero trigger travel " is what you are looking for....you might want to look at the fairly new " Carter One Shot" . It did not seem to group arrows any better for me than some other quality releases, but it has the best feeling trigger of any index activated release I have ever tried.
It has zero trigger travel at any setting.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:19 PM

I think those are all fine choices.

A little more pricey, and that might meet a few of your requirements a little more closely, would be the Tru AccuTouch. It has a hammer like a good rifle, and the trigger activates the hammer rather than the jaws directly. It has a leather buckle strap. Tom Crow has won sernior titles in both 3D and spots using the same bow he hunts, and using this release.

By the way, while it is entirely correct and important to point out that rifles are shot differently than bows (particularly when shot badly) I still like your list of atributes. None of the better releases mentioned here has sloppy take up, or or smushy pull, and they can all be set super light, and shot safely.

I should have added that I think you preference for a wrist strap is very good if you want to shoot targets and hunt. At the cheaper end I would go for the Lil Goose if you shoot off the string, and their basic caliper for loops. I have seen the caliper releases for as little as 30 bucks recently.

While I think the mechanisms on those release are very good. Another reason to shoot them is that the wrist straps are built right. Some straps don' t have enough support, and every time you shoot them you have to reset them for your next shot, this encourages gripping of the barrel, and of course the release is creeping, which might even be dangerous. Also it isn' t comfortable. Be particularly careful of camo wrist straps, since they often seem to have soft support.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:37 PM

Anything by Scott is good. I prefer the wolf which is a 2 jaw release. The loopmaster is a piece of JUNK. I have one and did I mention it is a piece of JUNK. I had it go off twice in a 3D shoot and once in the yard and one of my nephews had it go off when trying it out. A bloody lip is not fun when a loopmaster hits you in the mouth[:@]. It was set with a heavy trigger but doesn' t always close right. Truball makes some good releases but the loopmaster is not one of them. Don
Old 02-16-2003, 07:46 PM

The Scott is awsome. One fo the best releases ever made if you ask me & it dosn' t do bad at all on the target range either!

Old 02-16-2003, 09:49 PM

The one you want is the Carter OneShot. A great, great, release. Zero trigger travel, and a very crisp trigger. I love mine.

Rod
Old 02-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am going to be using my Tru-ball extreme for everything.
Just need to get a wrist strap so I dont loose the thing
Old 02-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the scott you will not be sorry......
Old 02-18-2003, 08:12 AM

The Scotts are great releases...the only thing I don' t like about them is the straight bar trigger. I prefer the Trufires as they have the curved trigger that simulates a horizontal rifle or shotgun trigger.
I use a Trufire X-caliper and bought 2 for extras in case they ever get scarce! I prefer this model because of the " release-to-fire" option. It makes it more versatile for spots and can help with issues of target panic if used properly. I have a Cobra as a backup as well and shoot with it about 1/4 of the time just for a change and to keep on my toes.

Quick Reply: One Release for Hunting, Spots, 3D?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.