Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 My General is too slow. >

My General is too slow.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My General is too slow.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My General is too slow.

I need a faster bow! I've been shooting 3D lately and am just terrible at judging distance. My general, shooting a 358gr arrow at 70lbs is just not fast enough and the arrow has too much drop between 20-30yds. It's about a 6 inch difference.

Any recommendations? PSE X-Force, 82nd or 101st airborne? I hear darton has a fast bow too.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My General is too slow.

something doesn't add up, my old PSE Mojave at 230fps has that much drop between 20 and 30, I would suspect yours to be much less.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy shoots a 70lb hoyt and shoots the same draw length and arrow....he has about a 3" drop between 20-30yds. My arrow speed, based on a local shops chrono, is 284fps.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really shouldn't be having that much drop between 20-30. IDK
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

My recommendation is to keep the General and learn to judge yardage better. The Big Dogs on the 3D course are good at it. That's why they win. A faster bow might put you in the 8 ring at 30 yards if you shoot it for 20, but the Big Dogs are pounding 12's while you're schlepping along with 8's. You'll still be getting your butt kicked, and nigh on a thousand dollars poorer.

Not to mention you're already shooting as fast as ASA allows.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I knew I would get the "learn to judge yardage better comment"......and I agree. Only if it were that easy. It was not a problem when I had the Guardian, it was faster, had less drop, so this was less of an issue. My 20-30yd pins on my guardian were so close it was difficult to see thru them at time.....gap between the pins on my general (exact same cobra sight) are 3X further apart.

With the guardian, I could put my pin at the top of the 10 ring at 25+ and at the top of the 11 ring inside of 25yds and tear it up. I'm averaging about 15-20pts less this year than last year.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is more too it then because I can garuantee that between 285 and 310, your pin gap will never change so how much faster could your Guardian have been. I suspect more of a tuning issue or other factor.

The difference you missing in score compared from last year cannot be blamed on the bow, there is more to it. AT 284, you shouldn't be seeing a 6" drop on 10 yards and honestly, are you off 10 yards on yardage estimations?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, my estimation is never off by +/- 10yds.....maybe up to 5yds. 25-30....I have no idea.... 30-35....same thing. At an indoor range, if I use my 20yd pin at 30yds on the 5 spot target, I will score a 0. It drops that far.

My arrows fly like darts and at a 20yd 5-spot I consistantly shoot in the low 290's.....

Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Step up and get a scope or a single pin slider that will improve your yardage judgement a lot cause you have to dial it in for the exact yardage.

But Rob is right there is more to it no way should you be getting that much of a drop in 10 yards.

Could be bow tune, arrow tune or shooter form flaws. It's hard to say without seeing you shoot.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Primitive Weapon,

I have a BowTech Tribute Right Hand, 29"-draw with 70-pound limbs.

We could trade bows or I am willing to buy your BowTech General out right.
You have already talked yourself out of the General.When you decided to buy a new bow, PM me.

Quick Reply: My General is too slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.