Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 OK I DONT GET IT???? >

OK I DONT GET IT????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OK I DONT GET IT????

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OK I DONT GET IT????

I understand the concept of a dropaway rest, less contact -less friction -less variables-better shot?? Why such the attention on rests such as the limb driver that hold the arrow longer? I mean in my head I understand the concept it would make it more stable, but if your bow is tuned up properly does it really matter?? Also in my head it makes sense to me that if the rest dropped VERY quickly wouldnt it be more accurate because no friction better accuracy?????

I mean if they are that much more accurate, why do the majority of target shooters use spring steel rests??(atleast thats what ive always thought)?? They are in contact through the complete arrow flight. Am I right??

Ohhh and before people start yelling at me I have no complaints with the limb driver, as I still shoot a prong style rest. Just using it as the new top of the line rest!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK I DONT GET IT????

The drop away rests are more accurate for people with shooting form flaws and/or bows not tuned properly. By loosing contact as quickly as possible there is a less likely hood of a hand twist or a quick squeeze affecting the shot.

For a person who practices a lot and has a tuned bow they offer no benefit over a standard prong rest and are not as reliable or possibly consistent shot after shot.

A limbdriver kind of stradles both rests. A normal rest until the string is almost to the rest position and a drop away to allow for fletching clearance.

I personally shoot a drop away because I like gadgets and am a techno nut and until this past year shot a double prong for almost 20 yrs.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM
bigcountry

I was troubleshooting some centershot problems on one of my older bows, and took off the drop away QAD and put on a older NAP Prong (TM hunter type) rest. While paper tuning, I couldn't believe how unforgiving it was but how easy it was to setup. I forgot how easy they are to setup. I was experiementing around and purposelygripping the bow, andnot having my shoulder extended,or gripping myrelease. AndI would get funny paper tears. I put the QAD back on, and saw a huge contrast. I could get away will all kinds of flaws. But then had to mess with timing and play around with that.

But like you, I read that from limb driver and do not understand it. I do know if you drop too quickly, you can have other problems when tuning. I like my drop aways to drop about 2" after release. I like MZE's to drop quicker because I believer thier is a delay since its connected usually the the cable slide.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a target shooter but have heard that many like to use underpined arrows. Is thistrue or false?

If that is the case, you want the rest to stay in contact with the arrow longer to help stabilize the shaft since it will want to flex more? I believe that would be the benefit of using a solid rest for target shooting.

I'm guessing the limbdriver provides that stability while still falling out fo the way incase the shooter makes some sort of mistake upon release. I know I've already said this partin my previous post but the more I think about it the more I understand the concept.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Go to Vaportrail's web site, they've got some highspeed video of the rest being shot, it clearly shows that it stays up for a good long time.

I think the big draw for the Limbdriver is not so much the time it supports the arrow, but that it's not slaved to the down cable,rather to the limb. A "traditional" dropaway cord is loose at brace, and gets tigher as you draw; the Limbdriver is the oppoiste, it's slack at full draw. Not necessarily a big deal for a single cam bow, but the the force from the traditional dropaway's can have an effect on binary cam bows. The presure from the cord adds tension to one cable but not the other.Since the binary cams are slaved together, you can end up havingtiming issues; IE one cam hitting the cam draw stop before the other. Tuning problems and letoff issues can result.

I don't think this is so much an issue with the newer (06 and up) binaries, but lots of Bowtech guys use them. I may be mistaken, but I think the Limbdriver is what Bowtech reccomends for thier bows.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

The drop away rests are more accurate for people with shooting form flaws and/or bows not tuned properly. By loosing contact as quickly as possible there is a less likely hood of a hand twist or a quick squeeze affecting the shot.

Spring steel rest provide guidance for form flaws and are more forgiving because of the guidance they provide,that is why the pros use them.They use every LITTLE adavantage they can because the difference in 1 shot might be the difference in 1st and 10th.

To understand this,watch all the slow motion video you can findof what an arrow does when shot.The arrow is not stiff when shot,it is moving (absorbing energy from bow)and a rest that is guiding that arrow,the more it will want to go where aimed,the spring steel rest does this WHILE stll being soft and not forcing the arrow out of it's naturall oscilation.

A prong rest does much of the same but clearance is more of an issue and spring tension is crucial to maintain some of the softness.

I like fallaways,especially for hunting because of the clearance on helical fletching and the containment you can get with them but that is really the only advantage.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I'm not a target shooter but have heard that many like to use underpined arrows. Is thistrue or false?

If that is the case, you want the rest to stay in contact with the arrow longer to help stabilize the shaft since it will want to flex more? I believe that would be the benefit of using a solid rest for target shooting.

I'm guessing the limbdriver provides that stability while still falling out fo the way incase the shooter makes some sort of mistake upon release. I know I've already said this partin my previous post but the more I think about it the more I understand the concept.
NO,they use perfectly spined arrows(for the most part),hunters use stiff arrows.

But your assumptions are correct because the perfectly spined arrow will still oscilate,even when bullet holing paper,the arrowstill has some movement to it,unless it is overspined.Even then there is movement,just a different kind.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go,watch what the arrow does.Notice WHY the spring tension is crucial for a prong rest.If the arrow does this with no rest under it,it is left on it's own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3s2Vq_ZnUo

Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now watch this fallaway,I don't like this paraticular fallaway but you might be able to start picturing why the spring steel is a better option for a target shooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlgEMXr5pDo
Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a much better fallaway imo but the video isn't as slow but if you look close,you can see the movement on the arrow and this appears to be a pefectly tuned setup.Notice how late it falls,perfect for hunting imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDV1pHtI7S8

Here is another of a fallaway,notice how the arrow starts to fall with the rest,use the berger hole as your reference and then watch how it comes back up at the end(still using the berger hole as a reference.)

Ever wonder why nock travel is important,here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfRmvX8hy5g

This shows what the arrow should be doing as it flies downrange,notice how the arrow moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3yJNKZXKd0

These videos show part of the reason why I am not a fan of the wb,it just restricts the naturall flow of things too much imo.

I wish I could find a spring steel video/

BUT,to be honest,the biggest reason that most pros use a spring steel is it is SIMPLE and there is much less to go wrong.Plus they are a breeze to tune.AND by tune,I mean fine tuneing to the umpth degree.

Quick Reply: OK I DONT GET IT????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.