Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Presses

Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Presses

Well, I was scanning the classifieds over on AT and I came across two presses I was interested in.

Just looking for your opinions on each press.

I am a basement shop kinda guy who wants to get a full size press for working on my own bows. While I currently use the BowMender for my pressing needs, I am thinking about getting a full size press to ease the hassle of pressing and unpressing when timing and synching cams, twisting strings, cables,checking measurements after twisting,etc.

Here is the link to the first press:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=528376&page=1

Here is the link to the second style of presses I am looking at (this one appears to be copied off the Sure-Loc):

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=636811

I would like to hear your opinions on these presses.

Thanks in advance.

Bols

[EDIT]

I found another model similar to the first one....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=313357

Old 02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Presses

Here is a link to the press I use, similar to the first and third that you're looking at. Haven't had any trouble out of mine, and they can custom build to fit your bows specs on longer ATA bows.

http://www.hydra-press.com/
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm planning to add Gritty's "Ultra Bow Press" to my shop in the basement very soon. This is the third one you posted. It will accomodate a wider variety of riser lengths than the Omni press because of the sliding sections. Add in the fact that you can also getthe "CSP Kit" to this press, and now you can press Guardians and X-Forces. For $185 for the press, and $30 for the CSP kit, this is a smoking deal.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I'm planning to add Gritty's "Ultra Bow Press" to my shop in the basement very soon. This is the third one you posted. It will accomodate a wider variety of riser lengths than the Omni press because of the sliding sections. Add in the fact that you can also getthe "CSP Kit" to this press, and now you can press Guardians and X-Forces. For $185 for the press, and $30 for the CSP kit, this is a smoking deal.
So what you are saying is you trust it with your bows? [8D]

Cause if you would trust it, I would hesistate to look into this style of press.

I know he added some kit for 2008 to help keep press lean from occuring during operation, seems like he offset the pull arms of the press to ensure an even press.

Have you see this press in action Matt and if so,how would it compare to a Sure-Loc or other big name press?

Thanks for the reply so far....

Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jeremy3303

Here is a link to the press I use, similar to the first and third that you're looking at. Haven't had any trouble out of mine, and they can custom build to fit your bows specs on longer ATA bows.

http://www.hydra-press.com/
Jeremy, the only thing I don't like about that style of press is how the press actually presses against the riser. I know any press can damage a bow, but I am under the impression (from what I hear) is that pressing against the riser only increases your chances of screwing up.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

This looks interesting, it's the first I've heard of it. I like the idea of the horizontal adjustment and the CSP kit is nice (even though I don't shoot a Guardian, it's nice to have a press that's somewhat "future" proof for designs like this. Nice price as well. Hmmm...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bols

Cause if you would trust it, I would hesistate to look into this style of press.

I know he added some kit for 2008 to help keep press lean from occuring during operation, seems like he offset the pull arms of the press to ensure an even press.

Have you see this press in action Matt and if so,how would it compare to a Sure-Loc or other big name press?

I'd have to get one in my hands and actually use it before I would go quite that far to say "I trust it with my bows". I haven't seen one in person, but I know a few people that have and I respect their opinion on things like this. At least enough to try it with my $$$.

Nothing I have seen other than the Last Chance press compares to an X-Press. I just don't have that kind of $$$ for a home press. Even at shop cost, it's gonna cost me a LOT more than Gritty's press, and I'm just not willing to spend that sort of $$$ to be honest.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those presses look pretty decent. I have had an EZ press on order since Dec. but nothing yet. I am considering an Apple Dual Super Pro Extreme with the new adjustable Limb Brackets. It's a lot of $$ but I hope it's my last press to buy. I sold my bench press last fall to a shop, and have been getting by with my portable, but that's getting old.

Dan
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Sureloc nock off press picked it up over on AT for a song

I have worked on a lot of bows including my Commanders with no problems at all.

I dare say when Sureloc see's that add the guy will be getting a letter telling himto stop making them or else.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I have the Sureloc nock off press picked it up over on AT for a song

I have worked on a lot of bows including my Commanders with no problems at all.

I dare say when Sureloc see's that add the guy will be getting a letter telling himto stop making them or else.
Ausie, is it the same guy who is making them in the link I posted above? The second link I believe is the nock off Sure-Loc.

ORIGINAL: Bols

I'd have to get one in my hands and actually use it before I would go quite that far to say "I trust it with my bows". I haven't seen one in person, but I know a few people that have and I respect their opinion on things like this. At least enough to try it with my $$$.

Nothing I have seen other than the Last Chance press compares to an X-Press. I just don't have that kind of $$$ for a home press. Even at shop cost, it's gonna cost me a LOT more than Gritty's press, and I'm just not willing to spend that sort of $$$ to be honest.
Matt, that is kinda what I figured. You were going off what some other people had wrote and I couldn't agree with you more. I inquired about the EZ Press through e-mail and while I would love to have the press, I was about floored when I saw the prices. Great press, just steep for someone who doesn't make money off fixing bows.

When you do get it in your hands, drop me a PM or something. I can probably manage until I hear back from what you think about the press in person. The guy has quite a list of happy customers so I guess it must work. And for the price, I can justifyit as opposed to what a Sure-Loc X-Press or EZ Press would cost.

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Those presses look pretty decent. I have had an EZ press on order since Dec. but nothing yet. I am considering an Apple Dual Super Pro Extreme with the new adjustable Limb Brackets. It's a lot of $$ but I hope it's my last press to buy. I sold my bench press last fall to a shop, and have been getting by with my portable, but that's getting old.

Dan
Dan, I betLast Chance Archeryis getting slammed with orders for their presses.

I have seen one in action in a proshop up in Wisconsin. They are a great press. I am sure if you hangout long enough for it, you will enjoy it. Of course, you have probably seen it in action, therefore, I don't need to tell you how great they are.

Quick Reply: Presses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.