Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load) >

a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 AM

Default a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

I plan on taking this to the bow shop tomorrow (monday). My buddy's bow fell off a four wheeler and got roughed up pretty good. I'm of the presumption that if you have to question whether or not it is safe to shoot, then it probably isn't.

Seeing what others thought by the pictures. There is no cleaving on the limbs, but the cam looks rough, it really needs to be smoothed down. The very ends of the limb are broken off, I mean a very miniscule amount. It's hard to see in the pictures but if you look at the pictures of the ends of the limb you can see it.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:40 AM

Default RE: a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to lo

I wouldn't worry about the limbs so much but you will need a new cam. DO NOT draw that bow like that. You could cut the string, or it could come off track and the bow could explode in your hands. I've had it happen, I don't recommend it.

My opinion without actually seeing the bow in person, I'm not bow mechanic by the way. I'm sure parker will tell you that you need a bow though. If they do tell them you have been eyeing a really nice bowtech anyway LOL.

Paul
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Default RE: a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

lol Paul, I might have to do that.

What I was thinking about was taking the string off (with a bow press, of course) and working the cam down so there isn't a bur, but then you're saying that could let the string come off track during the draw cycle or after it is shot?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Default RE: a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

also, I have drawn it back and let it back in without problem since I took it to try to take it somewhere to fix. [&:]
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Default RE: a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to lo

My concern is that the cam could be bent as well dented.

Paul
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Ok, good point Paul. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 PM

New cam. Don't take a chance on that one.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I wouldn't worry about the limbs so much but you will need a new cam. DO NOT draw that bow like that. You could cut the string, or it could come off track and the bow could explode in your hands. I've had it happen, I don't recommend it.
Ditto this!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everyone dont take a chance.Have limbs looked at bya professional they might have a small crack that you cant see.Replace cam for sure if you do nothing else.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

curiosity killed the cat, luckily I'm not a cat.

Shot the bow. I took it to a "pro shop" and he just looked at it and said it was fine. Kinda ticked me off, but oh well. It was almost like he refused to look at it.

Anyway, I took it home, took the strings off and worked on the cam for a little while. I couldn't stand looking at the bow just laying there, I mean come on, it was meant to be shot, and shot it would be.

I served the peep back in, lined stuff up where it would be pretty well in tune, tied on my loop and headed out to the yard (with some buddies who all wore an incredulous face, I think deep down they hoped it would blow up because they werevideoing it, lol).

I drew back and shot it, I missed horribly, but more importantly, the bow didn't blow up.

I probably shot it about 20 times, and never noticed anything wrong (no sounds coming from the limbs, no excess vibration or rattling or anything).

So, I guess the question now is, is it safe to keep shooting? IF it was cracked or messed up, something bad probably woulda happened by now, right?

Quick Reply: a bad case of road rash, to shoot or not to shoot? (high quality pics, might take a second to load)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.