Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 OnTarget 2 Users >

OnTarget 2 Users

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OnTarget 2 Users

Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OnTarget 2 Users

For any of you guys that use this program and have heard conflicting methods for how to set the program up for properly or were wondering what all the settings are for. I've confirmed the following with Larry Clague (Owner of Pinwheel Software, Inc.):
Step #1:
Check your draw weight
Shoot an arrow with a known weight through a chronograph.
Record the following:
speed
draw weight
draw length
total arrow weight
You may also want to verify your DL, ATA, and BH

Step #2:
Open up Ontarget and do the following:
Click on the"Database Selections" tab on the bottom
Choose your bow from the "Bow Choice" drop down menues
Choose your arrow from the "Shaft Choices" drop down menus
Choose your fletching from the "Fletching Choices" drop down menus
Choose your nocks from the "Nock Choices" drop down menus

Click on the "My Setup" tab on the bottom of the Equipment menu
Input your Bow DW & DL info (any any variation on ATA & BH)in the "Bow Specs" & items connected to the string in the "Weight on String"

You will see an area labeled "Complete Arrow"
This area has Velocity Calculated & Manual and Weight Calculated and manual
If the arrow weight is not correct first click on the Manul option and input your known arrow weight.
Now here is where you will adjust the IBO for the actual IBO for your bow at your DL.
Just to be sure that the program has updated all of your info click on the "=" sign after the bluw box for Calcualted velocity.
If the value in thisbox does not equal the value from your chrono'd arrow go up to where the IBO velocity is listed and adjust this value down or up as applicable amd again click on the "=" for Calculated Velocity. Repeat this until thecalculated value is equal to your known chrono'd arrow.
The program is now set-up for your bow and will be pretty close no matter what arrow/DW variation you use. I've tested this on 3 different arrow weightsand 3 DW's and the program has shown a calculated velocity very close to my chrono'd velocity.

From Larry:
If you adjust the velocity calculation by using the performance factor, this willnot onlyadjust the velocity calculated, but have the effect of changing (possibly unintended)the setup spine requirements. Adjusting the Performance Factor higher will show a stiffer spine being required..conversely, adjusting the Performance Factorlower will show a weaker spine being required....all other things remaining the same.

Bottom line is that unless you want to choose weak or stiff spined arrows specifically leave the Perforamce Factor alone and just adjust the IBO speed to accurately represent the spine that each arrow would have with your bow.

I hope this helps anyone who uses the program.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Default RE: OnTarget 2 Users

Good post Dave.

There are too many ego-maniacs out there that refuse to adjust their IBO Speed and instead will adjust the slider bar.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is covered in the helpfile:

This is from the help file of OT2:
The bow performance slider can be used to change bow efficiency as it relates to the IBO/AMO velocity. Changing the slider will alter the the program calculation for arrow velocity. Altering the performance factor will also affect the way the program makes shaft selections on the Spine Match Tab. Using a higher performance factor will result in the program selecting stiffer shafts. A lower performance factor will result in weaker shafts being selected. If all you need to do is synch the program calculation to your known velocity, a better way is to just change the IBO or AMO velocity values until your known and the calculated velocities match.
The bold is from OT2, the italics and underline are my highlight.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is covered. However, I've had people ask me how to set it up and also know people on here who believe that you adjust the PErformance Slider and not the IBO. I figured I'd be nice enough to post the topic. Not all people are as computer savy as you.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM

It's a fact that people don't read the help file. They start the program up, input there data and make random adjustments until something works out. Yet people will sit on this website and read thread after thread of nonsense and post what they believe to be correct without any research.

An excellent job has been done by Dave posting the cliff note version of the help menu.

Don't knock someone because they are making it easier for people to notice and learn from their mistakes.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

bruce,

I see many, many, many items covered over and over: D-loops, paper tuning, etc. People are not going to search back through last year to try and finda topic. I've had 3-4 people ask me how to set the program up for their bow. I'm providing an explanation that is straight forward. Even if you read whatis written in thehelp file it is still unclear to many people. That's obvious from all of the requests.

In addition, there are many people that do not have the program that ask people with the program to check their set-up. By writing this I'm explaining what info they would have to supply to someone like you to run their set-up properly.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always adjusted the performance slider downward to match my actual chrono speed. And it makes sense that On Target would recommend a lesser spined arrow for an "under-performing" bow.

I'm not sure I understand why somebody would want to use your method. Whether you decrease IBO speed or slide the performance slider down, the concept is the same: Your arrow is leaving the string at a slower speed. The dynamic forces acting on the arrow that cause it to flex have been decreased. So your recommended arrow spine SHOULD change. Why would you want it to NOT change?

Unless I'm missing something, this makes no sense to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Wow thanks. I've always adjusted the performance slider downward to match my actual chrono speed. And of course, my arrows always showed overspined.

So what exactly is the purpose of the performance slider, if it can't be trusted?
Not really sure myself.

To be honest. I'd rather just set up the program for my real set up and then choose the stiff or weak spined arrow based on what the chart looks like. If you forget that you've set-up the program to choose arrows that the program shows as properly spined and then you wonder why your BH's aren't performing properly and it turns out you are using weak spined arrows.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I've always adjusted the performance slider downward to match my actual chrono speed. And it makes sense that On Target would recommend a lesser spined arrow for an "under-performing" bow.

I'm not sure I understand why somebody would want to use your method. Whether you decrease IBO speed or slide the performance slider down, the concept is the same: Your arrow is leaving the string at a slower speed. The dynamic forces acting on the arrow that cause it to flex have been decreased. So your recommended arrow spine SHOULD change. Why would you want it to NOT change?

Unless I'm missing something, this makes no sense to me.

When I was shooting a lighter arrow my bow was "under-performing". It was not efficient in its' transfer of energy to the arrow. When I increased the arrow weight, even though my actual chrono speed went down, I adjusted the IBO speed up. My bow was now more efficient and was transferring the stored energy better. I also increased the tip weight significantly which gave me a stiffer spine. So, although my chrono speed went down, my spine needed to be stiffer to handle the extra weight on the front end. I think if I had just adjusted the performance slider down for the slower speed it would have made changes JUST in relation to bow performance (sliding it down because the speed was slower with the heavier arrow) when it was really arrow performance that had actually changed. My bow performance actually got better (more efficient transfer of energy) so sliding the slider down would have fouled things up. I think .

Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just had time to check the difference with using the performance slider and changing the IBO speed. When I adjust the performance slider (lower)so that the calculated speed matches the measured speed the spine match says the arrow is very stiff(need a weaker spine, just what Larry said). When I adjust the IBO speed so that the measured speed matches the calculated speed then the spine match is right in the middle of "good". This arrow shot the same with a field tip or a 2 blade broadhead.

I think the performance slider changes the effficiency of the bow without regards to the arrow whereas changing the IBO speed takes into account the arrow.

Of course, that could all just be imagined BS and not be close to what is happening LMAO.

Perhaps we should ask Larry just what the heck the performance slider is for LOL . Myself, I'll be doing the same as davepjr71 and setting up the program to match my setup by adjusting the IBO speed after measuring my arrow speed through a chrono.

Quick Reply: OnTarget 2 Users

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.