Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dilemma...

Old 02-05-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Dilemma...

I have a short drawlength,(26&quot. My current bow has 70# Limbs,but maxed out I only get about 60-62#s of draw weight. I realize the shorter the drawlength, the less the force curve will be.
My question is are there any bows out there that will actually draw 70#s at my drawlength?
I,m trying to increase my kinetic energy, yet keep my arrow weight a little on the heavy side(6gr/#). Sooo... I need more power scottie! Any suggestions?
My KE is at 51# now,by the way.I'd like to be closer to 60#.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dilemma...

Have you tried twisting up the cables and string to put some more prestress on the limbs?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:30 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Don't know which bow you're shooting, but Mathews bows will generally go over their specific draw weight with the correct cam for any length.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:21 PM

Unless I'm crazy, 70# should be 70#. I don't think draw length has anything to do with it.

I'd take a hard look at the string and cables.

I bought a used bow last year with 60#limbs and when it came it was maxed at 56#. A few of the strands in the string and cables had broken and both were severley stretched. New cables and a twist or 3 and it was sitting at 61# with a difference of almost 30 fps.

That sees like a LOT of weight to be missing though.
What kind of bow and the rest of the specs??

Trushot }}------>
Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 AM

Like everyone else I would check the strings and cables. I have also seen around a 5 # loss from worn out cable bushings on a few Mathews which was only a $5 dollar fix . I'm a Mathews guy ,but for a short draw length bow I would buy one of the new Bowtechs,personally.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I did some shopping around for a new bow. I have a 26 inch draw and was looking for a bow with the option of shooting up to 60lbs or maybe 70lbs. I found that there were actually alot of bows to choose from. They were Mathews, Bowtech, Renegade, Parker etc and Im sure there are even more choices now to choose from. You just have to do some searching on the Bow websites and read the specs on the bows and do some shopping around.
I decided on the Parker Ultra Lite 31, 60lb, 26 inch draw, And I have been greatly impressed with the bow and very happy with my choice of bows with this purchase.
I hope you find the right bow for you.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:06 AM

Sorry... here's my specs: Mathews FX,Mini-Max Cam,Schaffer rest.I just replaced the string,upper & lower bushings.(They were getting worn). This is not a new problem...I noticed from the day I bought the bow that it wasn't pulling the poundage I thought it should.
I was told by the dealer that I would never get the rated poundage due to my short drawlength. When I originally bought it, it had 60# limbs, I had the dealer put 70# limbs on and I gained some pounds, but not the 70 that the sticker says.
Maybe I should replace the cable as well.?.
My original question was, are there any bows out there that will actually pull 70#s at my draw-length.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:38 AM

Your dealer is mistaken. Every bow labeled a 70 pounder should get you at least close to 70. Sounds like the new limbs he got for you weren't matched correctly to your bow.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:40 AM

Yours should ,if he put 70 # limbs on it and has it timed correctly !! (?????????)
It doesn't matter about your draw length !!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:46 AM

Like stinky said your dealer is wrong dead wrong. Sounds like if you didnt replace the cable? If so then it needs to be twisted a little.If you cant find another dealer close, then I would have to call him on it.

SAVE A HUNTER EATA PETA

Quick Reply: Dilemma...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.