Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead penetration test >

Broadhead penetration test

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead penetration test

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead penetration test

http://tradgang.com/ashby/

Dr. Ashby, of course,has an extensive set of penetration measurements based on animal tissue. I'd recommend skipping the first one or two sections that are pretty mathematical.

He likes narrow, two blade broadheads, especially for big game.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

do all your test, but i will stand behind vortex 2 blade 2"cut heads,they have served me flawlessly for many years and many kills.all deer kills.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think any quality broadhead out there will work under perfect conditions and a perfectly placed shot, where it really matters is under other than perfect conditions with not so perfect shot placement. Ive experimented with lots of different heads and have had some that have worked for years but have failed me under some extreme conditions so I switch. I dont think there is a perfect head out there that will preform flawlessly under any and all circumstances. You have to know your equipment and its limitations along with yours, and if you keep it with in those limits you should be fine. Its when you try to push the limits that you tend to get yourself into trouble.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I think any quality broadhead out there will work under perfect conditions and a perfectly placed shot, where it really matters is under other than perfect conditions with not so perfect shot placement. Ive experimented with lots of different heads and have had some that have worked for years but have failed me under some extreme conditions so I switch. I dont think there is a perfect head out there that will preform flawlessly under any and all circumstances. You have to know your equipment and its limitations along with yours, and if you keep it with in those limits you should be fine. Its when you try to push the limits that you tend to get yourself into trouble.
But how do we know what those limitations are? For example look at the new Stryker magnums, they're huge. I'm sure that they'll create a great wound but how do I know if I should even consider them with my 375 grain arrow going 245 fps?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 AM

^ try em out, and if they work keep em, if the dont, you can start a collection
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM

I used the bear razor head for years and never had any problem with a slow bow with heavy arrows.Then I heard about these expandables and thought they where just a great idea a bunch of years ago.Started useing various brands thats when my trouble started from blades not opening to one opening to bands breaking in flight hitting a small twig and opening to alot less penatration then I thought I should have.Maybe I picked the wrong ones I am sure there are good ones out there .I just feel to bad when I can t find one of gods creatures that I wounded cause spring broke or a band broke and the arrow flew a foot to the right and hit it in the guts.So now that I am shooting a fast bow with light arrow I think I will stick to one of the fixed blades mentioned on this forum.Just my thoughts thanks everyone for your input it has my transtion from finger shooting to release shooting with a fast bow alot easier and cheaper David
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM

I am right there with you i shoot a buck at 35 yrds. with a mathews sq 2 shooting at only 234 fps and the 5575 gold tips and the 100grain vortex put a # on this six pointer buck for me he ran about 25 yrds. and that was it.The shoot was a little back and it looked as someone opened up a red paint can.

[/align]
Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 AM

Check out www.grimreaperbroadheads.com they test a bunch of broadheads with deer skin over ballistic gelatin, they even toss in fresh deer scapula for realism. With that said i know what works- 100gr slick trick magnums- accurate as hell, and just as deadly......