Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hook release

Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Hook release

I am thinking about getting a wrist strap release with a hook instead of two clamps. Carter makes some good ones apparently. I would think that this would make it quicker/easier to lock onto the draw loop, especially for hunting. Tell me what I am missing. Everybody seems to prefer the clamp style release like the Scott Sabertooth. Is there a reason for this?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Hook release

I went to a hook style (Short 'N Sweet) and like it for the reasons you mentioned. If I have a huge loop, the caliper style is quick enough to engage in a high andrenalin situation. But the hook, for me, is more fumble free and I can use a really small loop.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I switched from a Scott sabertooth to a Scott silverhorn last year and will never use another caliper release again. AlthoughI do still keep the sabertooth as a back up. It is soooooo quick to hook up and smooth as silk and you can use a very short loop.

Personally I prefer the silverhorn over the short and sweet just for the simple reason that the extension for tying the rope extends out and gets in the way of hooking to a "D" loop. I haven't tried the Carters other than just at the shows.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 PM

I'd like to try the Silverhorn. Can you get it with a "trigger" that is almost even with the hook?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the Primos .44Caliper..its the orginal release

but I tend to mess up or somthing with the style of Release your talking about..just my opionin
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 PM

i have the fletchhook and like it alot, but not for hunting. i still use my fletch hunter because i can attach it while in my stand, it wont fall out of the loop and i have one less thing to worry about when bambi comes walking by.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since these releases with hooks do not have a rotating head aren't they going to cause some string torque at full draw?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

While a non rotating head will cause some string torque and may not shoot to the same point of impact as one that has the head oriented differently, the arrow flight is still consistent......different but consistent.

Find a release you like, regardless of how it hooks up to the string, tune for it, then don't worry about it again.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since these releases with hooks do not have a rotating head aren't they going to cause some string torque at full draw?
Just like all scott releases the silverhorn has a rotating head.

Can you get it with a "trigger" that is almost even with the hook?
That's the way they make the silverhorn. The front of the trigger is pretty much even with the inside of the hook.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

That's one of the main reasons for the 'D' loop. If you look at the thumb trigger style releases like the Carters you'll see that they all twist the loop at anchor but the loop isolates that twist from the string itself. String torque would only be an issue if you're clipping direct to the string or shooting an extremely short loop.

Quick Reply: Hook release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.