Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"? >

Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"?

Ted Nugent is saying he recommends that everyone regardless of their draw length should use a 30 inch arrow for maximum flight integrity and maximum penetration potential. I've never heard this before. Is there any merit to this?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"?

I don't think so.

I think everybody should use an arrow of proper length and spine. Did he really say that?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO.

The only thing that can be an advantage is having a longer arrow should be more stable in flight but the arrow rest needs to be set around 1" from the end of the arrow for maximum forgiveness.

Think about this,would you want a 50" arrow and the rest making contact in the middle of the arrow? Alot could happen in front of the rest on a torqued shot.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe the "maximum penetration potential" would be because of the a) extra weight of the arrow, or b) he wants the arrow to stay inside of the animal and the extra length can help accomplish that
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, he really said it on his T.V. show's last episode.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

Ted Nugent is saying he recommends that everyone regardless of their draw length should use a 30 inch arrow for maximum flight integrity and maximum penetration potential. I've never heard this before. Is there any merit to this?
Sure, whatever he says, I'm going to follow a guy who shoots a 6 pt buck then celebrates claiming "The BEAST is dead!!!" I shoot 29.5 or 29.75" arrows anyhow, so I agree with him, but I am also drawing 29" as well. I really have very little respect for the guy, I think his show is marginal at best, and as he claims to have never done drugs, praise the Lord, blah, blah, blah, didn't he knock up an 18-19 year old girl??? Go with conventional wisdom that is more popular and proven in archery, Ted really is more about making $$$ than anything from what I've seen.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM

The show demonstrated it too. His wife is using his 30" arrows and same spin out of her 40something pound bow and hitting the mark and dropping the animal in short order. Uncle Ted is shooting a 55 lbs. bow with his gold tip 55/75 spin arrows. They referred to the some calculation that proves it's the proper set up for her as well??????????????????
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

dang...have to cut my 31" arrow down to 30"......or maybe 31" is better? [8D]
Old 01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's he been Smokin?[8D]

No Way!!

Dan
Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM

I would think a longer arrow would actually reduce penetration because of the added drag going through the animal.

I don't think arrow length has anything to do with accuracy as long as they are spined correctly and tuned well. If it made a difference every target shooter would be shooting really long arrows to improve their scores. And the only time I see them shoot a longer arrow is when they want to shoot a larger diameter arrow to increase line cutting ability. Depending on the bow you shoot you may need to add quite a bit of tip weight and/or shoot longer arrows in order to break the spine down to match your set up.

The only thing a longer than normal arrow would do is let you shoot a heavier arrow. What it would do is make picking the correct arrow a pain in the but.

And another thing to consider is that arrow specs are more accurate for shorter arrows, especially with carbon arrows.

Paul

Quick Reply: Nugent says "use 30 inch Arrows"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.