Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow >

Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow

Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow

I know this question is wide open but here is my scenario. I have used the Gold Tips, Carbon Express, & Easton Axis and found the Axis the fastest.

I shoot a Hoyt Havectec 27.5 inches at 70 pounds. I'm looking for a screamer arrow for next fall. What should I pick? Also - I'm seeing these short vaned arrows now. How will these (3 inch?) vanes fly through my Whisker Biscuit?The short vane is appealing to me.Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow

MI74,

If you want speed, then you have to remember that you lose a fair amount of "quiet." I tend to like a 400+ grain arrow for my 29" draw, what kind of weight are you trying to get down to??? I like the arrow in my signature line, and w/ a 100gr tip, I am avg'ing about 415gr per arrow, give or take a couple grains, but getting very consistent flight. As for what will fly through a WB, go shorter than those 3" vanes, BLAZERS are the best you can get to go through a WB, and they keep my BH's flying as true as my moderate-severe helicals do, but fly a few (maybe 5-7) fps faster. I can understand w/ a 27.5" draw, since you lose about 25fps of IBO automatically wanting LIGHT arrows for SPEED, but remember, you're still pulling 70# which means you're bow is taking a pretty good shock when you go for those LIGHT arrows. I'd recommend staying around the 380gr or so mark, you'd only lose about 10fps over your MAX IBO, or heavier for quiet and efficient use of your power stroke. That's my $.02, and that's probably more than it's worth.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I know this question is wide open but here is my scenario. I have used the Gold Tips, Carbon Express, & Easton Axis and found the Axis the fastest.
Not saying that you're wrong but I think the gold tips would be faster than the axis just because of arrow weight. The goldtip prohunter or XT hunters are far lighter than the easton axis in the same spine.

For a good lightweight hunting arrow, I use the GT Prohunter, very durable and consistant arrow to arrow. I haven't used carbon express arrows so I can't comment on them, although I have heard good things about their maxima series arrows. The axis arrows are a heavier arrow so they will be a little slower, but they are one of the best hunting arrows also, IMO.

The short vane I believe you are referring to is the Blazer vane (2" long) and they will work great through a biscuit.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Drop the WB and get a good drop away and gain a few FPS. Then try out a 3-49/390 ACC arrow. I'm shooting that arrow with 4" vanes,100gr tip, for around 386gr. per arrow. At 70lbs. and 27" draw, I'm getting about 270fps out of my '05 Allegiance. It also has 2 cat whiskers, and a no name peep on it, so I'm losing a few right there, but my meanv ss is on its way so I'll be able to get rid of the whiskers and get a couple more out of it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were you, I'd look at: GoldTip Ultralight, Victory HV, or Carbonrevolution 6.2 - remember - you HAVE to build an arrow that weighs at least 350 grains, or you'll risk blowing up your bow or voiding your warranty. Those arrows will get you there, easily. Err on the side of caution when you look at the spine charts, too. Use bulldog collars or G-nock system on the back end - for durability - b/c you'll be smacking them during practice. Account for the weight of the components.

Remember, if you shoot 70 pounds, you're aiming for a final total weight of 350 (including head, nock, insert, shaft, fletchings).

If you want max speed through a whisker biscuit, use feathers. They're the lightest, and the biscuit will not damage them. If you use a helical, make it very slight. I'd recommend a straight jig. Check out the Rayzr feathers. They're bad ass. Feathers lay down when the arrow snaps out of the chute - and they're flat against the shaft when it passes through the biscuit, minimizing drag.

I shoot Carbonrevolution 5.5 shafts with 4" gateway feathersout of my whisker biscuit - 70#, 29" draw, HCA Iron Mace - and I've chrono'ed at 370 fps with a 255 grain arrow. No feather damage at all. My next dozen, I'm fletching with Rayzr feathers, b/c they're the lightest fletching on the market. And they look cool.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Razr feathers have preformed flawlessly for me this season. Also the CX Maxima are one tough light arrow. Be sure to stay within the 5 grains per pound guideline, and for hunting 6 would probably be even better

Dan

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Check out the Victories and the Radial x-weaves.I also shoot the GT XT Hunters and like them but I'm interested in something faster for next season.I talked this over with a Archery dealer close to me and he said those would be his top 2 choices if he wanted to speed things up.Also,I use a WB and shoot 2" Blazer veins and have had absolutly no problems with them.Accurate and stable in flight.And no damage at all from WB.My buddy uses 4" veins with his WB and gets wavespretty bad in his.I've had no issues like that.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fastest, Lightest? Not sure, but I just got a dozen of the Victory HV 350 spine shafts. With Quickspin ST vanes, and the shafts 29" long, I need to go to a 100 grain point to get OVER 300 grains. With a 75 grain point and vanes, they were 291 grains. I weighed, spun, and spine tested them, and so far, they are quite impressive. I shoot 60#, so they would not be too light for me with a 100 grain pt., but if I order any more, I will just get the standard weight ones instead of the HV series. They should be good 3D arrows.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

how about the Easton Lightspeeds. They are pretty light in weight.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking arrow Dan!!!

Quick Reply: Fastest, Lightest, Low Maintenance Arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.