Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Shaprness Question >

Broadhead Shaprness Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Shaprness Question

Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Shaprness Question

Got a quick question for you guys. First let me give you all a little background so you can better answer my question.

I shot a doe back in October. Clean pass through, double lung shot, couldnt have asked for anything better. Retrieved the arrow and broadhead, both ingood condition. Well we sharpened the broadhead a bit cause it did stick in the ground. I got a new bow for Christmas, and am trying to take another doe, so i figured i would just use the same one i took my other one with. So i have been sighting my new bow in with that broadhead and arrow and have shot it into a foam target around 10 or so times? It still flies true so there is nothing wrong with it. I need to resharpen it i think. So my question is how much would it take to return it to "razor sharp" I'll be using a G5 broadhead sharpener. Also how could i test its shaprness??

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Broadhead Shaprness Question

Sharpness is kinda subjective. I can run my thumb (carefully) across an edge and get a pretty good idea. But attempting to slice a piece of typing paper hanging by a corner is probably a little more scientific.

BTW, I have shot some sharpened G5 Montecs into foam broadhead targets, and it seemed like they got sharper for the first couple of shot. Maybe a stropping affect at work here. After a bunch of shots, though, they got dull.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM

I test my broadheads using a thin rubber band stretched taut. The blades should cut right through with barely any pressure applied.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a Montec it could many strokes to get it razor sharp if ever. They are probably the most difficult blades to get sharp.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, shoot the dull ones.
Those super sharp blades kill deer WAY too quickly, and leave much too easy of a blood trail. Kinda takes away a good chunk of the challenge.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM

If you're just using the G5 sharpener you're never going to get them truely sharp unless you're talking about their 2 sided stone for sharpening Montecs. I want mine so that they'll shave hairs in half on my arm (without touching the broadhead to my skin).
Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

What broadhead are you using?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to say how to sharpen a head if I don't know which one your trying to sharpen. As for a test, I like to use the old, if it shaves hair it's sharp enough. That's why my arms have big bald spots during bow season. LOL