Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 muzzy 3 vs 4 blade >

muzzy 3 vs 4 blade

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

muzzy 3 vs 4 blade

Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Default muzzy 3 vs 4 blade

All,
I used Thunderhead 100g broadheads for years but switched to Muzzy 3 blade last year just to try them and really like the ruggedness of the broadheads, nothing wrong with Thunderheads just wasnt crazy about the o ring, anyway for youMuzzy guys Im thinking about trying the 4 blade 100g not the MX-4 the older style, any experience or pro/cons over the 3 blade. Thanks alot..
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzy 3 vs 4 blade

I used to use 4 blade 90 grn muzzys and have never had a problem wih them!

Although I have heard that 4 blades will not penetrate as well as 3 or 2 blade heads??

I really dont think you will gain anything from switching to a 4 blade from the 3 blade, I also dont think it will hurt you any as well??

Unless you are getting a good deal on the heads I would not bother with the switch but thats just my OPINION??
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started to use the Muzzy MX-4's after wanting to get away from Thunderheads as well. It wasnt so much the O-ring issue with me as much as a consistancy and lack of penetration issue. Ever since I switched to the Muzzy MX-4's my arrow placement is more consistant and every deer I have shot with them have been complete pass throughs. I never had one pass through with the thunderheads.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM

I've used the 4 blade in 90 and 100 gr for years. Just switched to the 3 blade 75 gr bh this year 'cause I couldn't find a 4 blade that light. Haven't tried the MX as I can't justify the cost. (Tried the Slick Trick last year, it is similar to the MX, and it performed no better than the Muzzy. Shot different deer with both heads. Actually thought the Muzzy flew better.)
Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 PM

I did quite a bit of testing with the various Muzzy heads this summer and fall; and found that the best long range accuracy was achieved with the 75 grain 3 blade original Muzzy. They may fly a little better than field points at 70 yards - at least out of my Hoyt Protec.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM

I've heard numerous times that 4 blades have a tendancy to fly a little funny. I decided not to chance it and i went with mx-3's...no regrets here.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot both and see no difference at all between the two, I just went for the extra blade for extra cut.

ORIGINAL: MattH

I've heard numerous times that 4 blades have a tendancy to fly a little funny. I decided not to chance it and i went with mx-3's...no regrets here.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses, I was going to try the rage 2 blade next season but I always told myself I would never use an expandable, Ive killed a few with the muzzy's and actually cracked the spine of a small doe that dropped in her tracks so I really like the ruggedness of the broadhead. Im just looking to try something a little different, really just curious if the 4 blade makes a better blood trail than the 3. The muzzy's are a proven performer and the price is right, but like alot of us some of our shots are not always text book, and ive been on track jobs with good shot placement with very little blood, just keeping my options open....
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

since i switched to the 4 blades last season, i have not had to track a deer. i have seen all 8 of them drop within sight...don't know if its the broadhead or mif my shooting just got better, but muzzy 4 blades are alll i'll use. fly PERFECT for me!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I shot the Muzzy 90gr 4 blades for the last 10 years and just switched over to the 100gr 3 blades this season. On all deer with the 90gr 4 blades, I had complete pass throughs and good trails. I have only had the opportunity to take one deer this year with the 100gr 3 blade, but again had a great pass through and a good trail. most of my deer have fallen within view while using my Muzzy's. In a comparison, I don't think the heads fly that much different. Both heads fly pretty close to field points although I now practice with the practice heads instead. Either way, you'll be fine whether you go 3 or 4 blade.

Quick Reply: muzzy 3 vs 4 blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.