Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Turning up your bow past its max??? >

Turning up your bow past its max???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Turning up your bow past its max???

Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Spike

Default Turning up your bow past its max???

Is it good on your bow to turn it up past it's recomended poundage,say a 60lb to 62lb or back off at least 1/2 a turn? Thanks to all replys!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turning up your bow past its max???

As long as you are shooting a properly spined and heavy enough arrow it will be fine. Its not like turning it below the minimum where it would be possible for the limb bolts to pull out. Bows work most efficiently when they are at or very close to their max.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

All limbs vary to some degree. Some max out at58 and some will max out as much as 63 just depends on your limbs. You'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maxing the limb bolts won't damage the bow in any way - unless you crank 'em way too tight and strip the threads or crush the limb butts. But unless you're very lucky the bow won't be tillered properly. Andanyway,what will a couple of extra pounds of draw weight do for you? Nothing. You'd have to have a very accurate chronograph to see any difference in speed.

IMO, leaving enough adjustability to achieve a good tiller is worth a heckuva lot more than 2-3 extra pounds of draw weight. On my bow, I've got the limb bolt on my bottom limb snugged down tight, but the top limb is backed off some, in order to make my tiller right. That gives me all the draw weight the bow can deliver while also being adjusted tomatch my shooting form.