Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 denatured alcohol >

denatured alcohol

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

denatured alcohol

Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Default denatured alcohol

I was wondering about denatured alcohol.We do not have anything in Canada called that I was wondering if it is the same as menthol hydrate.I know this is not archery related directly.But I was told it is a good cleaner for preping arrow shafts before glueing.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: denatured alcohol

Usually it is just alcohol that is denatured with other distillates. Usually a hydrocarbon of sorts. Lots of time the hydrocarbon is the same as gasoline.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You mean methyl hydrate, I guess. They are not the same, but can be used the same way. Be sure to wear rubber gloves with the methyl alcohol though. It's worse about drying out your skin than denatured is, and denatured is pretty bad.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM

I hear you I have used methyl hydrate before and it does dry your skin out pretty bad.The guy at my bowshop like to use it all the time for prepping arrows before he put's any kind of glue on the shaft,it really atacks oil and dries it up.I think I will use the methyl hydrate just because I have looked for years to get denatured alcohol but have not seen it in any store's in Canada.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Denatured alcohol is ethanol which has been rendered toxic or otherwise undrinkable, and in some cases dyed. It is used for purposes such as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves, and as a solvent. Traditionally, the main additive was 10% methanol, which gave rise to methylated spirits. There are diverse industrial uses for ethanol, and therefore literally hundreds of recipes for denaturing ethanol. Typical additives are methanol, isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, denatonium,[1] and even (uncommonly) aviation gasoline.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although just as bad for you as denatured alcohol is, acetone will work just as good. Just be sure to prep the vanes too. I still have some arrows that I've preped the arrows as well as the vanes with acetone and am still shooting them a couple of years later through a wisker biskit and they haven't came off yet. Once they're on, they're on.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM

I use regular 91% isopropyl alcohol .You should be able to get it any drug store or pharmacy.I had read somewhere that regular 70% rubbing alcohol is not recommended because it contains a slight amount of oil.The 91% is used for preperation of the skin prior to an injection.
I got mine at a Walgreens and it was only a couple of bucks
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ubetcha

I use regular 91% isopropyl alcohol .You should be able to get it any drug store or pharmacy.I had read somewhere that regular 70% rubbing alcohol is not recommended because it contains a slight amount of oil.The 91% is used for preperation of the skin prior to an injection.
I got mine at a Walgreens and it was only a couple of bucks
I've been using that too for years, and I don't have fletching problems. I scuff my vanes with 200 grit sand paper, clean with the alcohol, then I fletch with super glue gel. Works like a champ!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Simp

Although just as bad for you as denatured alcohol is, acetone will work just as good. Just be sure to prep the vanes too.
Better. Some vanes don't require preping. I remove the nock and stick the shaft right in the can, let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off with a paper towel. It will, unlike alchohol remove super glued vanes. The only thing that will.

When the can of acetone no longer works, get another.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

Better. Some vanes don't require preping. I remove the nock and stick the shaft right in the can, let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off with a paper towel. It will, unlike alchohol remove super glued vanes. The only thing that will.

When the can of acetone no longer works, get another.
I've never thought of putting the shaft in the can! Good idea! I bought some vanes that had some sort of powder on them. Probably from the manufacturing process, and they had to be wiped down or they would pop right off. They're on there like cement now.

Quick Reply: denatured alcohol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.