Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which feature

Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Which feature

Allows more forgiveness..

The1 1/8of added brace height in the General

or

The 2.5625 of longer Axle to axle of the Guardian

More in terms of shooting indoor leagues in the Hunter Classes.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which feature

I would say the combination of an 8" brace height and a 37.5" ATA length of the commander.
Since this is a "tournament bow".
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Precisely what I was thinking. If this is to be a competition bow specifically, the Guardian and General would be my last choices in the bowtech lineup. I'd be looking at a Commander, or better yet a Constitution. Don't get me wrong, I've shot the Guardian and felt it was a fantastic hunting bow, but honestly it doesn't have a lot of the qualities I personally like in a competition bow, indoors or out. Honestly I like and prefer a bow that has a bit of feedback on the shotfor competition.......so center pivot doesn't really do much for me unless I'm using it for hunting.The Commander and Constitution will also present a much better string angle for less face contact on the string, something I feel iscritical on a competition bow. Both indoor and hunter class really don't require much speed either. If I were to shoot a bowtech again for competition specifically (crazier things have happened), I'd have myself a Constitution unless I was competing from the Open stakes in 3D where I would opt for a bit more speed with an Airborne 82nd.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Please don't misunderstand.. This is primarily a hunting bow. 1st and Foremost!!!

The use for indoor is strictly secondary and more casual..But I am competitive and "should" be in the top 3 in my bowhunter class.

I just would like the best compromise on the better hunting bow..I like them both.

And I'm not one of them guys who can just have multiple bows laying around.. It takes savings and yadda yadda yadda..
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Between an extra 2 1/2" of axle to axle and a bit more than an inch of brace height, I'd say the General's brace height would give you more forgiveness. However, I would also say the Commander is the better choice. Slightly slower than the Guardian but slightly faster than the General. More forgiveness than either.

Plus, unlike the Guardian or Commander, the General requires the use of a bow press to change the string and cables. Having the ability to do basic maintenance on a bow without a press is an attribute that's well worth having. Should be required by law on ALL bows, IMO.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

However, I would also say the Commander is the better choice. Slightly slower than the Guardian but slightly faster than the General. More forgiveness than either.

My thoughts exactly.

But they are all good shooting bows it really boils down to personal choice.
Best thing to do is go test them out and take home your top 2 choices

That way you will have a great hunting bow and a great target bow

But I am competitive and "should" be in the top 3 in my bowhunter class.
Then why are you wasting time in bowhunter class move up and play with the big boys

Just kidding as long as your having fun who caresya sand bagger
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 AM

I'd have to recommend the Guardian for an all around bow.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Then why are you wasting time in bowhunter class move up and play with the big boys
I've toyed with the idea.

Boy if I only thought I could.. We got so may Hoyt guys (primarily a Hoyt Shop) We have Senior Olympic Medalists. These guys are freaking unbelievable. I'd need a world class coach..I'm self taught.A good coach would probably look at me and say..You play any other sports?? lol

I had a guy I shot with the last couple years..last year the first 3 weeks he shot (2) 597's and a 594 he quit, said "I ain't got any idea how to shoot anymore" and walked out. Done