Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting? >

Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

The new QAD Ultra HD rest is very good. But I also love my Limbdirver!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have no complaints about my Trophy Ridge Drop Zone. Like others have said.. if you're not having problems with the WB... I'd just stick with that until atleast next season. Save the money and change AFTER the season is over.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 PM

I feel that is one of the myths of the drop a way rests, that they are more forgiving. The shot happens so fast, and so many things are flying all over the place that I just don't see it happening.

I would argue, and often do that anything you messed up with the shot happened BEFORE the shot, not during it. You just don't know it. That arrow comes out of the bow so incredibly fast you simply can't mess it up during the shot. It is going to go in the direction it was pointed when the string was released unless the fletchings hit something and knock it off course. And then in most cases it will still recover before it hits the target.

And a lot of the drop aways are slight over draw rests because they have to mount behind the shelf instead of over it (so is the WB) so they are actually less forgiving than a normally installed prong rest.

Remember the key is a PROPERLY set up rest.

That being said my favorite drop a way is the muzzy zero effect, but I have not tried some of the newer ones.

Paul
Old 11-10-2007, 04:58 AM

Best rest on the market. http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/limbDriver.asp
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 AM

I have tried the Rip-cord and the QAD ultra rests. I prefer the QAD. I like being able to let the bow down without the arrow falling to the shelf. I have hunted with the WB in the past, and it has hard to argue against it as a functional simply design. Simple is good when it works!! The QAD is quieter than the Rip-cord IMO. Haven't tried any other drop-aways.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

But after really trying them and seeing what they do I have to agree that they help eliminate fletching clearance----if you have fletching contact. But in the vast majority of cases fletching contact is a result of poor tuning or a lack of tuning in the first place.
This is where drop away rests shine.It is definetly true thatwith TM style rests you could easily get them to tune on your bow and could easily get great fletchig clearance IF you shot straight or very slight offset vanes or feathers. Once you got more than about 2-3 degrees offsetwith your vanes fletching contact became a very real issue.

With a drop away rest you can use extreme amounts of helical for much better broadhead control than you ever could with a TM style rest.

I feel that is one of the myths of the drop a way rests, that they are more forgiving. The shot happens so fast, and so many things are flying all over the place that I just don't see it happening.
I'll take all I can get. The same thing could be said for bows in general. Longer ATA, longer brace height, more mass, etc... Are you going to notice the difference between a 7" brace height and a 7.5" brace height? Or a 2 inch longer ATA length. Or .2 more pounds of weight on the bow? Not likely but add them all up together and you get a more forgiving set up.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher.....I have shot the WB hanging upside down from my childrens swingset and yes it works except the aim is opp.shot the air 1st try hit the target 2nd and that was enough for me......Just tried it because they said you could,that was a few yrs ago.....If they come out with something better and proven I might change but for now the WB is all I will use....Still waitting to hear more about the Hostage......
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

i went from a WB to a trophy ridge plunger rest.. and my accuracy improved so id have to admit that they tend to be more forgiving.. i had just picked up a QAD today at.. beilieve it or not.. walmart.. for 35 bux on clearence.. gonna try it.. my buddy runs it on his growler and its really friggen nice
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the Q.A.D. Ultra rest on my bow for 2 seasons now. Not a single complaint, and I do quite abit of shooting in the summer at 3d shoots. Fabulous rest, very quiet.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

See below.

Quick Reply: Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.